• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem of the Week, T-Case Shake/Wobble

WillySLC

NAXJA Forum User
You know, when you have almost 280K miles on the XJ, things happen faster than you can deal with them. It gets kinda discouraging...

This isn't a new problem, but I just was reminded of it when I recently used the 4WD in rainy conditions. This is the NP242 Select-Trac model. When in 4WD there is a distinct shake/wobble/vibration as you accelerate through about 25 MPH. If you engage the 4WD in motion at say 45 MPH there does not seem to be a problem. It almost seems like something is binding, cause it seems to take alot of umph to get the car moving through the 20 - 30 MPH speed.

Any ideas?

Thanks as always,

WillySLC

Ignoring the "load" thing , I'd be thingking about the front u-joints, front yoke and it's bearing -- with the 4wd disengaged that would all be free turning - basically the front wheels through diff to the yoke area -- with the 4wd engaged the yoke would be coupled (you didn't say which 4wd part/full) and presumedly powered --- sounds like worn u-joints in the front shaft or some run-out in the front output bearing/yoke -- have you recently hit the front driveshaft on anything - could be that it's out of balance or that it's slip-splines are dried out, worn, and are offering excessive play...

Well I can tell you its not a worn chain usally with that it will either skip like hell and you will no it when its doing this it is a horrible sound or... it will just break and you will also know when this happens. I would check the tranny mount to while your at it.

Back