• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boat Rack for the roof?

Bigjfb

NAXJA Forum User
If I build a rack with those gutter clamp thingies, how much weight can I put up there? Small aluminum boat?

Wheres a good place to but those clamps?

personaly, i would use the stock rack.

ive had close to 700# on the roof of my 89.

how much does 10 sheets of 4x8x1/2 drywall weight?

I got a rack from an older XJ, they have a channel with sliders instead of the stupid new style. It lets you bolt anything up there with a normal 1/4-20 bolt I think it was. Then I just made some wider bars.

I use the old fashion two bar rack with gutter mounds for my 12ft alum. V hull boat and use a 1" rachet strap for the front of the boat to the front sway bar. made a lot of 80 mile trips on the freeway to the lake. Sucks big time in cross wind!!

Last edited:
I regularly put my 14 ft aluminum up on top. I have thule gutter mounts and crossbar that I bolted a 2x6 on to make it wide enough. a couple ratchet straps and Its all good!! crosswinds do suck bad!

picture.php

stock rack does this help

I've got Thule gutter mounts and bars. They supported me (275lbs) and about 150lbs. of lumber last week without any issues. Pricey, yes. But worth the money.

I just did a ladder rack from th local parts store. A touch over 4 feet wide and about a C note... Easily 300 lb of weight from to turtle carrier and other totes of camping gear.

007_4A.JPG

Last edited:
I regularly put my 14 ft aluminum up on top. I have thule gutter mounts and crossbar that I bolted a 2x6 on to make it wide enough. a couple ratchet straps and Its all good!! crosswinds do suck bad!

Would you mind posting a pic of your rig with the 14' on top? That is exactly what I had in mind, would like to see it if I could. My boat is a 14' too.

I also want to devise some kind of outboard mount. If my Evinrude fourstroke gets put on it's side, it doesn't run well for a while. It's too long to ride upright in the cab, so I was thinking of making a mount of the rear bumper. I tried to have the GF carry it in the front seat, prop down between her feet, but she is just not that into fishing to put up with that.:dunno:

I carry two 17' sea kayaks on a Yakima rack with home made cradles.
The cradles are made from laminated 2 X 4s cut to slip over onto the bar and the tops cut to fit the shape of the hulls.

Driving can get a little interesting in high cross winds.
For safety, I use ratcheting straps on the crossbars and separate bow and stern lines tied to the bumpers.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/1416466238/in/set-72157622830310636/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/1415579225/in/set-72157602095130748/

Would you mind posting a pic of your rig with the 14' on top? That is exactly what I had in mind, would like to see it if I could. My boat is a 14' too.

I also want to devise some kind of outboard mount. If my Evinrude fourstroke gets put on it's side, it doesn't run well for a while. It's too long to ride upright in the cab, so I was thinking of making a mount of the rear bumper. I tried to have the GF carry it in the front seat, prop down between her feet, but she is just not that into fishing to put up with that.:dunno:

I dont have any handy with the boat, but the next time I put it up I will get one. I overhang the rear by about 2 ft. and let the front dangle, maybe 5-6 ft? a ratchet strap front and rear and one over the middle has held good for a while. My buddy made a wood motor stand for the back of his rig that he can unbolt when he's not going fishing and use as a motor stand in the garage too. no pics of that one either. the motor sits at the "UP" position across the bed of his truck.
1zmniur.jpg

I also put 2 14' sea kayaks up there too on occasion.

Last edited:
I dont have any handy with the boat, but the next time I put it up I will get one. I overhang the rear by about 2 ft. and let the front dangle, maybe 5-6 ft? a ratchet strap front and rear and one over the middle has held good for a while. My buddy made a wood motor stand for the back of his rig that he can unbolt when he's not going fishing and use as a motor stand in the garage too. no pics of that one either. the motor sits at the "UP" position across the bed of his truck.
1zmniur.jpg

I also put 2 14' sea kayaks up there too on occasion.

Nice, thanks man.

The over hang in the front, you didn't need to support it at all? No rod attaching to the front bumper or anything ugly like that?

nope,no other supports. it overhangs a tad more than the green boat on the last page. I put the back of the boat where the glass does not hit (barely) when the hatch is open...

you should be fine, point the bow forward and you'll be good to go. may we know why not just trailer it?

I no have trailer, and want to go through some snow, bad roads unsuited for trailering IMO. I go across miles of some pretty soft sand to get to my secret lagoons in Baja too.

Back