• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the correct tranny fluid for an AW4

benulis55

NAXJA Forum User
Ive read that it takes regualar ATF and also read that it takes ATF+4

please post what the RIGHT tranny fluid is

Thank you

dexron/mercon II or III.

not sure if the year matters, but you should include this info when posting.

aw4 is a toyota trans, not a chrysler trans

The manual calls for Dexron III but that is no longer produced under license, and anything sold as that is going to be a house "compatible" mix. The current licensed fluid is Dexron VI (6 not 4), which is backwards compatible with Dexron III and has some significant improvements. That is the correct fluid.

it is a 1996 AW4

The XJ Cherokee AW-4 automatic transmission uses Dexron-III/Mercon transmission fluid. You can buy anywhere, including WalMart.

Dexron Mercon III is the spec. fluid for the AW4. There are "compatible Dex/Merc III fluids available widely and as mentioned, the licensed Dex/Merc III is no longer produced.

There are a number of threads with people having some problems with ATF+4 in their AW4. Not everybody experiences it but it is more than incidental.

Because of that and because nobody has similar issues with Dex/Merc III, I would recommend sticking with that.

Yes, there was a bulletin issued by Chrysler stating that ATF+4 is okay for the AW4 but the word is that is more of as parts logistics issue driven by Chrysler and is easier for them to recommend the one fluid for many transmissions.

The AW4 is NOT a Chrysler transmission. Check your owners manual. It says Dex/Merc III and that is why I'm sticking with that......

ATF+4 is some weird stuff. I do a lot of auto trans work and that fluid and Ford Mercon SP stand out as being the oddballs. The SP has a nasty odor to it and in fact Ford recommended wearing a respirator when working around it, it's now been discontinued and Mercon LV is the replacement.

ATF +4 looks like it has water in it, right out of the bottle.

Back