• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust question

96NYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a dynomax pipe and thrush muffler. Both are 2.25 but the muffler is shorter then stock so im going to have to get a pipe to reach it. When i go to buy a pipe at the auto parts store does it have to be 2.25 or will it be the 2.12?

You can get short (18") straight sections that are flared at one end to fit over and undersized at the other end. Try to bring in the muffler or other pipe you are using and fit it in the store. That and 2 clamps should do it.

Just cut it to size then put the flared end forward over the muffler, the small end back into the tailpipe. That way the gas flow is contained (think rain gutters). Clamp it all down nice and tight, and done.

ETA: Or you go to the store and find a chunk of 2.25 pipe, take it over and use it as a template. You need a pipe that'll fit over at one end and inside at the other.

You can get short (18") straight sections that are flared at one end to fit over and undersized at the other end. Try to bring in the muffler or other pipe you are using and fit it in the store. That and 2 clamps should do it.

Just cut it to size then put the flared end forward over the muffler, the small end back into the tailpipe. That way the gas flow is contained (think rain gutters). Clamp it all down nice and tight, and done.

ETA: Or you go to the store and find a chunk of 2.25 pipe, take it over and use it as a template. You need a pipe that'll fit over at one end and inside at the other.
it works the opisite way, the flared end will fit over the tailpipe and the small end will slide into the muffler

Wouldn't you want to funnel the exhaust out? I've noticed using clamps doesn't allow for a perfect seal, so having the funnel face upstream would collect any escaping gases better.

Suppose that could be wrong...

It will likely be listed as 2.25" ID/2.25" OD. I started with a Dynomax catback, botched some exhaust work, and wrecked the muffler inlet. Now running the Dynomax tailpipe, with a generic "Turbo" muffler (the short body style) and a short piece of pipe connecting outlet to tailpipe. The 2.25" OD end is slipped into the muffler outlet, and the 2.25" ID end over the tailpipe.

That's completely backwards of how I would have liked to have done it (and have done it in the past- although a poor seal leaks regardless of orientation), but that's how the shop did it.

It seems backwards to me too, like HenryKrinkle said logically it should flow like a rain gutter but every muffler I had was made to accept the tailpipe inside of it. ie the muffler being the female end and the tailpipe being the male.

Back