• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need tire help! Wrangler Authority any good?

nochance9

NAXJA Forum User
So my aunt has a tj and she wants to get 31s and 2" of lift. No problem for me, but i'm stuck on tire decision....

Has anyone used the Goodyear wrangler authority? (I think it's a walmart exclusive tire)

If you have some experience with it what do you think?

The other choice is the Duratrac, which i have no experience with. To those who do, good tire? Worth the extra $45 per tire?

Thanks for the help. I searched here and found nothing, i think NAXJA search hates me. So i did google, but all i can find is people who put them under their big fat diesel trucks and say they don't handle the weight very well.

Last edited:
I ran the Uniroyal Liberator A/T's from wally world on mine for a long time and they worked great as long as you didn't go in the mud. Great on dry/wet/snow though. Perfect tire for a DD.

I've been running Duratracs since New Year's. I like them - good in wet, great in snow, astonishing off road (compared to pure A/T). Road noise isn't too bad either.

Don't have a lot of miles on them yet so no idea how long they'll last.

I just picked up some Duratracs (not mounted yet) because the reviews I found were all pretty incredible. Great on road, snow, and better in mud then AT's.

if shes worried about budget then look at treadwright.com had the 31 ats and loved them

now i have 33 duratracs and i love them

Do you need 2" of lift to fit 31s on a wrangler?

No(but don't ask the tire people at Walmart that, they told her she needs at least 41/2" of lift!!!!), but she'll need the ground clearance for some of the local trails we run, and I've already got some spacers for the front lying around. So $40 for the rear spacers, and the stock shocks will work for now considering what she's going to do. Get some longer ones down the road for sure though.

I ran the Uniroyal Liberator A/T's from wally world on mine for a long time and they worked great as long as you didn't go in the mud. Great on dry/wet/snow though. Perfect tire for a DD.

My friend's toyo truck has those and they seem to work well for her. I just worry about sidewall strength and flexability with them.

I don't know if this matters, but the Authority's only come in a E load range. The Duratracs can be had in either a C or E. www.discounttiredirect.com sells the Duratracs in the C load range for $164 a tire and it's free shipping.

I didn't know they were only E... Duratracs are sounding better with every post...

if shes worried about budget then look at treadwright.com had the 31 ats and loved them

now i have 33 duratracs and i love them

I hadn't thought of Treadwright, that's another option to go. Thanks.

So I guess what i'm most worried about is that she knows nothing about the offroad aftermarket so she is pretty much just saying "tell me what i need and i'll give you money." Which is fine, but i know she doesn't want to spend a whole ton, and at the same time road manners and offroad performance are both important. She'll be running 31's while the rest of us are on 33's and 35's, some lockers, and mostly long arms, so i want to choose a tire that will perform well off road to help bridge that gap. But it will be on road %98 of the time as well. It's tough.

Get the dura Trac's.. Best new tire by goodyear... Here in the PNW PG&E runs them on their trucks to get in the mountain. great all around tire. I would spend the extra 45 a tire if it were me.

I have 31" duratracs and like them alot for my DD. well worth the 150 a tire. i havent been stuck yet and wheel with much larger rigs. i have about 7-8k on them now and dont show any signs of wear. they are putting them on the home depot rental trucks up here.

Last edited:
I've read a lot of good reviews, and a lot of bad reviews about the Duratrac's but it seems to be only huge diesels, they say that anything above 35mph they feel unsafe and wander. You guys don't feel that at all? They need to be freeway worthy.

The Walmart near me won't mount tires on a vehicle that aren't the factory size either. You'd have to bring them just the wheels.

They didn't say they wouldn't mount them, just that she needed 4 1/2" of lift to clear 31s. lol i don't trust them, thats another reason i'm considering a different tire, so i can take it to discount who i've always had awesome service from.

I've read a lot of good reviews, and a lot of bad reviews about the Duratrac's but it seems to be only huge diesels, they say that anything above 35mph they feel unsafe and wander. You guys don't feel that at all? They need to be freeway worthy.

I have no idea what your talking about! I drive mine like a Porche(usually without the swaybar connected).I tow my 3000# camp trailer eveywhere with it.I had BFG MT's(33x10.5) before and just love these tires!

I have no idea what your talking about! I drive mine like a Porche(usually without the swaybar connected).I tow my 3000# camp trailer eveywhere with it.I had BFG MT's(33x10.5) before and just love these tires!

That's comforting to hear, cause if you google these tire's reviews it's a lot of people saying exactly what i said.

Oh and the Authority's are offered in a load range C. Only the 31x10.50x15.

Back