• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to mount a bumper?

95REDXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i have searched all over and i cant find anywhere that says how i should correctly mount a rear bumper, i'll be making it myself. i want it to tie into the frame and be able to take a good hit as well as a good tug. i am not sure if this matters, but i do have a hitch already installed.

thanks everyone --colton--

You want all 8 factory bumper mounting point and you should use all ten of the receiver mounting points.
0217065-R1-028-12A.jpg

Thats great except for the extra mods you have to do,KISS!

These are what I built for my rear bumper. (they are only tacked together in the first 2 pics) It uses 16 bolts to mount the whole bumper, 4 down each side of the frame (where the hitch mounted) and 4 on each side at the body (where the stock bumper mounted). I used 1x2x1 1/4" thick channel and a 1/4" thick plate. I did open up the hole in the frame for the channel but don't have a pic of that.
IMG_3162sml.jpg

IMG_3165sml.jpg

(the front hole hadn't been drilled out and a nut welded in yet)

Here it is after being welded and mounted with the receiver added. The long part is just 2x4 box.
IMG_3178sml.jpg

Thats great except for the extra mods you have to do,KISS!

I just cut a notch in the 2x4 for the shackle bolts to slide into, other than that all you need is to cut the rear core support, and hammer those bad boys in. I also used the factory nutstrips inside of the 2x4. If I were to do it again, I would cut a hole for the shackle bolts, and tap the 2x4 for the hitch bolts.

Back