• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unknown liquid leaking out

jpk

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to install a new radiator tomorrow and I have been running my XJ with the temp gauge showing 190-200 degrees. I had the heater on to let coolant pass through the heater core to hold the temp down a bit until I can get to it tomorrow. There is a liquid like water leaking down on the pavement from under the charcoal canister. I can't see where it's coming from but all the coolant hoses in that area are dry. The liquid isn't coolant, I would smell the anitfreeze. It's clear and without any color. It's just a slow drip. Anyone know what might be going on?

My XJ is a 96 Country, 4x4, 4.0L, automatic.

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to install a new radiator tomorrow and I have been running my XJ with the temp gauge showing 190-200 degrees. I had the heater on to let coolant pass through the heater core to hold the temp down a bit until I can get to it tomorrow. There is a liquid like water leaking down on the pavement from under the charcoal canister. I can't see where it's coming from but all the coolant hoses in that area are dry. The liquid isn't coolant, I would smell the anitfreeze. It's clear and without any color. It's just a slow drip. Anyone know what might be going on?

Year, engine size, model?
Have you been running your A\C or defroster? If so, then it 's just water from the evaporator. If it's a 4.0, it's perfectly normal to run even up to 210 regularly. Is that why you are replacing the radiator?

No, that's not why. I do have a rad leak coming from the bottom of the radiator, that's been coolant, and I have been keeping the overfill tank replenished with coolant until I can get to the radiator tomorrow. The other liquid appears to be water. I haven't been running the AC because it would really kick the temp up above 210. Like I said, I was running the heater, on low of course because it's getting pretty warm here in NE FL. I was told that if I ran the heater the temp rise wouldn't be as high. Actually now that I think of it it was the defroster I was running. I was concerned the evap or accumilator might have gone but I don't have water in the cabin. So you think it's just condensation from the evaporator?

Yep, probably water. Set the HVAC to Heat or Vent (instead of defrost) and the temp slider to max, if the unknown liquid stops shortly thereafter it was water from the evaporator.

Hope it is... because the only clear liquid I know of in that section of the engine compartment is brake fluid, from the right front brake line where it runs along the bottom of the pinch weld on the firewall.

No.....the bottle has ww fluid in it and it has alcohol in it and it's blue. This stuff has no scent to it. I believe it's as the previous poster said. Condensation from having the defrost on. I have since driven it with the defrost off and no water. Thanks to all. Problem solved. Now on to the radiator tomorrow.

Blinker fluid perhaps?:repair:

Blinker fluid perhaps?:repair:
Nailed it!

I've noticed my '88 leaking water from the fender areas after a rain. Somehow it runs down the gutters, the pillar between the door and windshield, then I think through a tube, finally draining to the ground.

Also happens in the rear near the gas filler door. I think it's sneaking in there and puddling.

So I guess, think about when it happens- after a rain or really humid night= could just be collected water.

Back