• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ranger rims on an xj?

mobbthatjeep

NAXJA Forum User
not sure if this is the right place or not but does anyone know if rims off of an older(87) ford ranger will fit a xj?
or if any of you guys have pics of mickey thompson rims on your xj could you post them
i have some on my ranger that im selling and im thinking of putting them on my jeep

I would think they would, as the Ford 8.8 that the explorer and ranger have under them are the same 5x4.5 bolt pattern we use.
if you have both there, nothings stopping you from taking 5 minutes and trying to make sure tho.

mobbthatjeep said:
not sure if this is the right place or not but does anyone know if rims off of an older(87) ford ranger will fit a xj?
or if any of you guys have pics of mickey thompson rims on your xj could you post them
i have some on my ranger that im selling and im thinking of putting them on my jeep

I run Mickey Thompson Challenger forged aluminum rims...

DSCN1307.jpg

Jeep and Ford do not have the same center hub diameter!

The benefit to this is they have a little less backspacing. I believe they are 7" wide, but instead of 5.25" BS, they a have 4.5" or somehting like that. So if you're rubbing on your LCAs or rear inner fender, the older 15" Ranger or Bronco2 or Exploder FOrd wheels should help.

RCP Phx said:
Jeep and Ford do not have the same center hub diameter!

Correct.
When we bought our new tires the local tire store threw in a set of cheap ranger rims for a while until I got my new ones, and I had to bore (sp) out the center of the rims a bit to make it work, but it didn't take much, A few minutes on each rim with a die grinder and problem solved.

Picture0041.jpg

Jeep bore is 71.6 mm and the Ford 70.7. Funny thing is that the front hubs will take the Ford wheels but the rear not??

Gojeep said:
Jeep bore is 71.6 mm and the Ford 70.7. Funny thing is that the front hubs will take the Ford wheels but the rear not??

That's what they make files and grinders for. :) On the aluminum ford wheels, there is just a little lip that is the smaller diameter, not the whole wheel center. Hit mine with a round file - worked great.

Back