• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 axle tube - rotate for pinion angle?

FearNoFish

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search but did not come up with any enlightenment on this subject.

With a six inch lift, it seems that there is a fine line between getting the correct pinion angle and not messing up the castor from the rotation. I have read that most people just play until they get minimum vibraton and death wobble they can live with.

Has anyone explored rotating the axle shafts in the housing in order to alter the pinion angle while keeping the 5* +/- negative castor (I think that's right)?

Some have said that they rotate the knuckles but don't elaborate on whether that is by cutting the knuckle weld or tube/pumpkin weld. I would think that you would want to keep the same relation between the inner C and the coil spring bucket/shock mount/LCA mount. Couldn't that be accomplished by rotating the tube assemblies and rewelding.

How difficult is it to remove the plug welds holding the tube in and performing the above mentioned proceedure?

Or am I just overthinking the whole thing?

FNF

Its a ton more effort to drill out the plug welds and try to press the tubes out and weld it back together correctly. Its less effort and alot more user friendly trying to rotate the inner c's. If youre gunna go thru the amount of work to do this, why would you bother keeping stock brackets? Perfect time to add a truss and some beefy mounts.

-grind the crap outta the welds on the backside of the inner c to tube
-hammer the crap outta the inner c until it moves
-mock up and measure everything a bunch of times
-weld it all back together

Its a ton more effort to drill out the plug welds and try to press the tubes out and weld it back together correctly. Its less effort and alot more user friendly trying to rotate the inner c's. If youre gunna go thru the amount of work to do this, why would you bother keeping stock brackets? Perfect time to add a truss and some beefy mounts.

-grind the crap outta the welds on the backside of the inner c to tube
-hammer the crap outta the inner c until it moves
-mock up and measure everything a bunch of times
-weld it all back together

I already have a T&T truss, with UCA mounts, new HD LCA mounts, and gussets for the inner Cs. All of the mounts except the spring buckets are removed. I am not apposed to replacing those but I would like to stop here unless there is a big upside in going to the trouble the turn the knuckles and all of the related labor.

This is a multi use vehicle that will see 70mph on the way to the rocks.

FNF

If you already have all that T&T stuff waiting, then go ahead and cut the buckets off and rotate the inner c's. set the pinion angle to what you need, turn the c's and put the castor where it should be, and burn on all the new mounts/truss level. I wouldnt hesitate to do it if I was in your shoes, youve already got everything needed and the axle ready to go.

Well, as usuall Jeff has been down the road before me. Sorry this thread didn't come up in my searches or I would not have take up the space or time.

Great write up Jeff. Settles all the questions. When I grow up can I be you, or would you just send a clone over to build my XJ.

FNF

You're too kind.....if I had a clone, he would definately work on your XJ and I know you would feed him well, too. :)

Back