• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Always on the edge.....

jabbo-1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 xj, 130k miles, 4 1/2 rc lift, 33" bfg a/t tires, and I am
always on the edge of the "death wobble". Hit a bump, and hang
on, hit a few bumps in succession, and I'm in SERIOUS trouble. This
is only on the highway,it won't come out of it till I get down around 25 mph. then it straightens up, and is ready for round two !
I have installed 2 new track bar bushings, and have purchased, but not
installed all the control arm bushings, " they all seem tight " and was
wondering if most of this is due to the track bar ?

Caster, what is it set at?

What is the condition of the front end components? Have you checked the aluminum spacer at the steering box, the steering box mounting bolts, and inspect the frame for cracks where the box mounts.

Check the bolts on the frame side track bar bracket. those can come loose and cause death wobble.

ok dont underestimate what that stupid little steering stabilizer does cuz a fresh one cured my death wobble. i had the same kind of wobble hit bumps at about 50 and it started thrashing had to slow down to about 25

Didn't cure your death wobble, it just masked it. Once it wears out, DW will be back.

These threads all come back around on a pretty regular basis. Check all your front end suspension components. Tie rod ends. Balljoints. Trackbar ends and mounts. Hub bearings. Alignment. Check it *ALL*.

Didn't cure your death wobble, it just masked it. Once it wears out, DW will be back.

These threads all come back around on a pretty regular basis. Check all your front end suspension components. Tie rod ends. Balljoints. Trackbar ends and mounts. Hub bearings. Alignment. Check it *ALL*.

Yep.

Robert

with 33" tires, thats alot of weight to control. make sure all your front end components are good as stated, then get yourself a good steering stabalizer. youd be amazed how much they help. even when the caster is off, the stabalizer will help control the wobble. though youll notice bad tire wear till you get it aligned. back in the 80s when alot of the so cal guys i knew ran 1/2 ton chevys with a minimum of 33" tires, they all got the death wobble if they removed the stabalizer. i too fell into that when replacing my stock one with a aftermarket (rancho) and had to drive to the hardware store a couple miles away without any stabalizer on it. sure enough i thought my front end was going to come apart. put the stabalizer on and all was good. and yes the rest of the front end was new and aligned. they are cheap and work well, get one.

Exactly.

Always remember that a good steering setup doesnt require a SS.

Always remember that a good steering setup doesnt require a SS.

most straight axle vehicles come with an SS from the factory. jeep didnt because its a light wieght vehicle. with stock size tires you can get away without one. when installing larger tires, especially a 33'tall and 12.50" wide tire that wieghs alot more than a factory size tire, id recommend useing one. now put a rediesigned front end geometry such as a lift and such, youve just created a more likely chance of needing one. can a front end work without one when all its components are new and tight? sure, but your chances of getting the wobble is very high. and if youve ever had it happen to you at speed, youll know how dangerous it can be. its your call, but i plan to have my 2 1/2 year old ride in my jeep. id like it as safe as possible. cheap and easy to install, so why not?

most straight axle vehicles come with an SS from the factory. jeep didnt because its a light wieght vehicle. with stock size tires you can get away without one. when installing larger tires, especially a 33'tall and 12.50" wide tire that wieghs alot more than a factory size tire, id recommend useing one. now put a rediesigned front end geometry such as a lift and such, youve just created a more likely chance of needing one. can a front end work without one when all its components are new and tight? sure, but your chances of getting the wobble is very high. and if youve ever had it happen to you at speed, youll know how dangerous it can be. its your call, but i plan to have my 2 1/2 year old ride in my jeep. id like it as safe as possible. cheap and easy to install, so why not?

Jeep didnt come with one, you sure about that?

And once again the SS is only going to mask a problem, if there is a problem its going to wear out the SS and slowly you will see your problem come back. I say again a good steering setup doesnt require a SS.

9129-wheelie-time.jpg

i could be wrong, but i remember alot of the older jeeps not having them. now most every straight axle comes with one from the factory. your pic is cool if your into jumping your jeep and all, but has nothing to do with going 65MPH on the highway. not trying to get into a pissing match or anything, and like ive mentioned, yes with all good components you can get away without an SS, BUT, your chances are greater for wobble even WITH good components. a steering stabilizer does not mask a problem, it helps prevent one. hense the name "stabilizer". heck i can ride a motorcycle without a helmet, but its better protection to have one. again, your call to run one, just adding an opinion.

Not my jeep just an example. Yes jeep does issue one stock. I guess it comes down to preferance. Personally I run an OME ss that said when I have steering problems I never would replace it or add another. I would identify the actual problem at hand and fix it as opposed to mask it.

well i never said to only replace the stabilizer to fix the problem. read my post and i first said to make sure all your components are good first, then add a stabilizer to help aid in the wobble occurring. i refuse to believe by installing a stabilizer actually masks anything unless it was done on a wore out front end to begin with. but the OP said he had all new components. i KNOW for a fact that you CAN get the wobble with a perfectly good front end and its geometry. its the added weight and surface area the large tires have that make the wobble much more likely. so if you really wanted to fix the problem properly, one would suggest to remove all aftermarket devices and bring it back to factory specs. unlikely to happen with most anyone, so to help aid the problem you again ADD another aftermarket device such as a steering stabilizer. i dont get the reason for disputing that. but hey, i guess im just weird.
even desert racers both 4 and 2 wheel vehicles add a heavier duty stabilizer to their perfectly good front ends. reason? because the envirement in which the vehicle is being used calls for it.

well i never said to only replace the stabilizer to fix the problem. read my post and i first said to make sure all your components are good first, then add a stabilizer to help aid in the wobble occurring. i refuse to believe by installing a stabilizer actually masks anything unless it was done on a wore out front end to begin with. but the OP said he had all new components. i KNOW for a fact that you CAN get the wobble with a perfectly good front end and its geometry. its the added weight and surface area the large tires have that make the wobble much more likely. so if you really wanted to fix the problem properly, one would suggest to remove all aftermarket devices and bring it back to factory specs. unlikely to happen with most anyone, so to help aid the problem you again ADD another aftermarket device such as a steering stabilizer. i dont get the reason for disputing that. but hey, i guess im just weird.
even desert racers both 4 and 2 wheel vehicles add a heavier duty stabilizer to their perfectly good front ends. reason? because the envirement in which the vehicle is being used calls for it.

Ya I understand where you are going with that which is why I run mine just to help with anything that may occur.

I have a new one but can't get the dang taper fit out of the drag link. any ideas? heat ?
Heat and the biggest hammer you have handy. Apply liberally until problem is solved.

Also, that big white XJ is ktm racer 419's last rig.

Back