• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

little black box ...... removal

tbear

NAXJA Forum User
tried searching but no deffinate answer. what happens if you remove the black box on the alternator and wire directly to the pins. both my xjs have to be "tapped" in order for the alternator to kick in and charge. one is a 93 the other is a 96. starting to get po'ed but i dont want to fry anything. thanks:wow:

The black box ain't nothing, just the terminals, made that way so you can't hook the ALT up wrong. Taping on it is more likely bad brushes, pull it off and have it tested.

mine just started acting up a couple weekends ago. turns out that one of the connectors broke off just inside of the black box. so depending on how the engine would vibrate, sometimes it made contact, and sometimes it didn't.

so my gauge was showing charging-not charging-charging-not charging. i ended up cutting the 2 smaller wires flush with the box and crimped new connectors on the end.

WARNING...WARNING....WARNING.........make damn sure that you get the wires in the right place on the alternator. i don't know about 93, but on my 95, the voltage regulator is in the pcm. it would really suck to fry that.

thanks scorpio thats what i wanted to hear. i know the pcm is the regulator for it so i wont screw that up. and i had both alts checked at advice of someone else BIG WASTE OF TIME AND CURSE WORDS...

Back