• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flywheel issues

jeepster95

NAXJA Forum User
hi everybody!
i have a 1990 cherokee 4.0 aw4 auto, i need a new flywheel i have been told that the 1990 is different than the 91 to 95 version i was wondering if anybody on here knows if there is a difference. i dont want to buy brand new when i can get a nice used one for $20. i talked to the dealership and they were inconclusive to say the least.
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dennis

yes, a 1990 flexplate is different then a 91 and up flexplate. this is because the 90 uses a different cps then the 91 and up.

you can use a flexplate from 1987-90.

a flexplate is used with the auto trans(aw4) and a flywheel is used with a manual trans. just mentioning this incase the parts person gets confused when looking up the part name.

The problem is deeper than just a different CPS. The change over from a Renix to HO computer happend during that time. The pattern on the flywheel that the CPS senses is different between the systems. What you said might lead someone to think that they could simply get the different CPS and every thing would be happy, but that is not the case.

The problem is deeper than just a different CPS. The change over from a Renix to HO computer happend during that time. The pattern on the flywheel that the CPS senses is different between the systems. What you said might lead someone to think that they could simply get the different CPS and every thing would be happy, but that is not the case.

boy, us old renix guys sure do like to knit pick. yes the cps changed because the computer system changed, so you cant just swap the cps to make it work.

long live the renix system.

I would rather nit pick than pick Nits.

thank you for the info, looks like i "get" to replace the flexplate now. i have the 95 installed in the vehicle so now i need to replace with the 90.
yay! oh well once again thanks, it makes it easier to do knowing that they are different.

Last edited:
Back