• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High amp alternator in 93 xj

hornet98908

NAXJA Forum User
Just to start off i have done some searching and lots of reading but i just wanted to clarify for myself that the 160A alternator from a 2002 dodge durango will work in a 93 jeep xj 4.0L?

Also when you are grinding to make it fit your grinding the housing on the alternator not the engine block correct?

Finally because the new alternator will be making 70 amps more than stock are there any fuses or anything related, that need to be replaced for the swap? i already have 4AWG wire for the big 3.

The 160A alt will work I used auto zone part number 12329 which uses the 97+ style plug in connector. When you are grinding to make it fit you are not grinding the alt or the block you're grinding down on the mounting brackets that hold the alt to the block. The higher output alt will need upgraded wiring and need the main fuse in the PDC replaced with a 175A fuse.

For upgraded wires I recommend 5-90's wire kit.

Does anyone know of a part # for a high output alternator that uses the same plug as a '92? I could rewire the jeep for a different alternator but it's easier if I can just install the unit and plug it up.

All you need to do is snip the two wire connector off of a 97+ xj at the jy then splice it into the harness eliminating that molded block. After doing it I preferred the plug in connector which made it a world easier to work with rather than taking off 3 or 4 different sized nuts.

Does anyone know of a part # for a high output alternator that uses the same plug as a '92? I could rewire the jeep for a different alternator but it's easier if I can just install the unit and plug it up.

Something else that I've put on my list of things to do - a conversion plug to go back and forth with these alternators...

Changing that field plug was almost a big a pain in the arse as going to the Nippondenso externally-regulated alternator in the first place (should have stuck with the Delco - nothing wrong at all with those, except GM makes them...)

Back