• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hood skin removal and installation???

DirtBound

NAXJA Forum User
any body ever done this? how difficult was it? any pictures or links to build threads that anyone has done with this would be great. thanks.

Nate.

Considering the small amount of structure bracing under the hood skin, and how common the XJ is in the junk yard, it would be cheaper to buy a used hood complete with hinges then it would to get a new skin.
'Might want to ask a mod. to move this to paint and body work forum. Someone might have an answer there.

I've done it. There's alot of glue. I used a sawzall under the supports to cut through the glue. Around the edges you have to undo the fold. The reason why I did it was to mount my skin on 4 hood pins. Otherwise, I second tbbrug in that it would be easier to but one from jy.

Hoods are $39 at the local Pick n Pull. That makes it lots cheaper to just get another than to re-skin one.

X4. I picked one up for 75 bucks with the same color paint as my rig, all I had to do was swap over my hood latches and bolt the hinges on. I'd obviously prefer cheaper but even at 75 bucks it was worth not having to screw around with sheetmetal for a few hours.

Built2flex is right the inner supports are held in place with some kind of adhesive foam i just used a regular claw hammer and small piece of wood to prevent denting the hood. Just go the length of the support popping it up and it will come off easy enough. The edges are just rolled over and pressed down so you can either grind the edge off or take the time to gently bend them back out. Surprisingly there's nothing on the hood welded to anything else.

Back