• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 speed rebuild.... AX-5 (Kinda Long)

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok, so I now have 4 AX-5's in the shop with various problems. Looking for advice on where to start and what I'm looking for. So, anyone that has rebuilt a manual tranny please chime in. One (in the Jeep) jumps out of first gear, everything ealse shifts great. It is out of a 85 or 86 XJ. One the original that was in the jeep (busted cluster gear and stripped input shaft gear.) Lots of $$$ to fix that one. One I bought off ebay for $40.00 out of a 94 YJ (did not shift in 3rd or 4th... or was it between 3rd and 4th? Hmmm. Last one was coupled to the Tcase that came with the Engine out of a 94 YJ. He pulled the whole drive train and swaped in a 305 bc he lost 5th gear. Now the latest one (the one without 5th gear) is not open yet. The one that had shifting problems is open and on the table. Which one would be the easiest and cheapest to fix? 5th gear one or not shifting between 3 and 4th one? Now the one that had shifting problems shifts fine on the table and the synchronizer rings look brand new. Is it the synchronizer hubs, sleves, or rings that cause shifting problems? Or is it all of them? And shouldn't there be some kind of wear showing some where? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

BTT

Anyone have any tranny experience?

Does anyone know what I am asking?

BTT

Wow

From my experience with manual transmissions, sounds like you would need to tear all of them down and select all the best pieces needed to make one single good unit. Out of 4 and with the majorly differing problems they seem to have, sounds quite possible to have enough good pieces to make one good trans. Have done this a number of times with several diff trans's. I know i have had my 16 ft workbench completely consumed with pieces parts with jobs as this.

Will need good specs to make sure of any differences in the various production dates of those transmissions to make sure of compatibility..... I myself do not know of this.

Good luck. To me sounds like a fun job. Ever think of moving to the more HD AX-15?

Woo... Hooo!!!!!

Well it was slow around the office this afternoon. HE HE Not really but anyway I decided to open the tranny with the bad 5th gear. When I pulled the back of the case off half a snap ring came out. :confused: So I started to look around and see where it came from. Then I was looking at the two trannies and compareing them when I saw the problem. :idea: The snap ring that holds the fifth gear to the main shaft was missing and fifth gear had slid down the shaft no longer makeing contact with the fith gear on the counter shaft. party1: So I took the retainer off one of the trashed trannies in the shop and put it back on the one that was missing it. Before you guys say :nono: Try to find that retaining ring. I looked at a couple places. 4wd hardware, quadratech, & Ironman just to name a few. I got lucky and I don't know how well it will hold like that but its worth a try to me. Hell I have never even had my transmission in 5th gear!

Jumping out of gear is caused either by a worn synchronizer or poorly adjusted shifter. Replacing the synchro and renewing the bearings should have that box in tip-top shape. I'd work on that one first.

That is my next one......

I think I'll fix the one jumping out of gear next. The first thing I was going to do was open it and inspect it. Replace the sychronizer rings and anything else that looked out of place. So is it usually the rings or the hubs that go bad?

Back