• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunk while braking

G.Q. Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I did a search, but did not get the information I was looking for.

My 1998 XJ clunks when stepping on the brakes coming to a stop, the slower you go and brake at the same time, the louder it gets, its not awful, but sounds like a worn U-Joint sound...

what are some possiblities what causes this symptom?

Thanks!

Jeff

Does this "clunk" happen once or multiple times per stop? Does it ever happen when you take off from a stop?

Also...does this Jeep have a stock rear driveshaft?

multiple times when I stop, Once stopped its smooth and nice after take off.

The Jeep is all stock with the auto and 8.25 rear axle

Jeff

Have you taken the drums apart and made sure everything looks good in there?

If it starts to clunk and you let off the break...does it stop or keep doing it?

Sounds like something in the drums is not right.

When we bought my wifes 01 and we're on the way home from the dealer I noticed a minor clicking that was happening only when I hit the brakes and the noise was rotational (the faster I was going the faster it clicked). Turned out to be the passengers e brake cable had popped out of the little groove behind the shoes. Look at that and all the springs or maybe even one drum is worn worse than the other. Good luck.

If the clicking noise is coming form the from brakes(disk brakes) you might want to take the caliper off and see if the brake pads, were it rides on the knuckle, has a bad weir spot on it that cause the brakes pad to bound back and forth with the slightly warped rotor!

If the noise is coming from the back then i would do what riverfever has suggested.

Take your jeep to the dealership immediatly! You risk death or injury if you do not!
This is a known issue and there is a recall on this.
Seriously...this happened on my wife's jeep and when I discovered what was making the noise, it scared me out of my wits!
Basically what happens is that corosion causes the hub and the brake rotor to break. The rotor no longer is connected to the hub!
Usually this happens only on one side, but the added strain to the other rotor causes that one to break soon after the first one does.
Please, have ths checked!
Here are the details below.
Ed
web/gadget guru

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 00V136000 - Get Details
Recall Date: 05/10/2000
Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:DISC:ROTOR
Units Affected: 589000
Recall Date:
05/10/2000

Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER AND MULTI-PURPOSE VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, OR WISCONSIN, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. THE FRONT DISC BRAKE ROTORS CAN EXPERIENCE SEVERE CORROSION IF OPERATED FOR AN EXTENSIVE PERIOD IN THE "SALT BELT." IF THE ROTORS ARE NOT REPLACED, THE CORROSION CAN EVENTUALLY COMPROMISE THE STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY OF THE STAMPED STEEL CENTER HUB SECTION OF THE ROTOR.

Consequence:
THE REDUCED STRENGTH CAN ALLOW THE CAST IRON WEAR SURFACE TO SEPARATE FROM THE HUB, REDUCING THE BRAKE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE VEHICLE.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THESE ROTORS WITH ROTORS THAT ARE COATED WITH A CORROSION PROTECTION.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
Jeep Cherokee 879

RIVERFEVER- my drivers side e brake cable seams to be more popped out of the drum than the passenger, how to i go about getting this to fit back in properly?

Flash said:
What years did this recall cover???

Not entirely sure...but I know it was a bunch...The recall notice was dated 2000, my wife's jeep is a 96, so I would suppose that if you have a jeep that has the stamped steel hub welded to your rotor (it's obvious if you have this...compare to the rear rotor for comparison) and your jeep is prior to 2000, and you have not had your jeep serviced for this issue, then you are probably affected by this.
I replaced mine with a Bendix stainless rotor hub...I didn't know there was a recall notice, so I did the work myself...Had I known though....sheesh!
Ed

maine96xj said:
RIVERFEVER- my drivers side e brake cable seams to be more popped out of the drum than the passenger, how to i go about getting this to fit back in properly?

You might want to post this as a seperate issue...it night get passed over buried in this thread.
Ed

maine96xj said:

Those cables are just a larger version of a bicycle derailleur or brake cable. A begtter example would be a motorcycle cable b/c it is thicker. When I lifted and needed longer cables to allow for more droop of the axle (cable was hanging up badly on muffler) I went ahead and just did the rear breaks (new shoes, turned the drums) at the same time. Essentially, what you inside the drum is a little slot that the cable sits in. A big fat ball on the end keeps the cable seated. It is possible that it has shifted a bit and popped out of that slot a little. Unfortunately the only way to take a look is by removing the drum and taking a peak. If you do have to get at it, you might be able to loosen the adjustment rod (in tranny tunnel) and get some slack to where you can get in there with a screw driver and push that ball back in it's groove. Hopefully, you can get it taken care of without having to remove the brake shoes as that is a minor can of worms unless you've done it before. Do you have a pic of what you're talking about? Is your e brake working OK and holding OK? (I say OK b/c these things blow and are pretty difficult to get dialed in.) If you have any more questions....feel free to ask. Perhaps you should PM me so we don't interfere with GQ's situation.

GQ...what's the status dude?

-river

found the recall, is recall 747

Part NumberDescription05015965AABrake Rotor – All Jeep vehicles05003572AABrake Rotor – 1988, 1989, 1990 and early-1991 BB vehicles05012511AABrake Rotor – 1991¼ BB vehicles

You would have to get a hold of a dealer and and give them you vin. to find out if yours applys but by now thy have aether been replace or broke by now!!!!!!

Flash said:
found the recall, is recall 747

Part NumberDescription05015965AABrake Rotor – All Jeep vehicles05003572AABrake Rotor – 1988, 1989, 1990 and early-1991 BB vehicles05012511AABrake Rotor – 1991¼ BB vehicles

You would have to get a hold of a dealer and and give them you vin. to find out if yours applys but by now thy have aether been replace or broke by now!!!!!!

Hmmm, it looks like you're missing a few years there and adding some.
I know that my 89 and 90 XJs all have the one piece cast rotor/hub. But my Wife's 96 has the stamped steel hub welded to a cast rotor disk. It's the stamped steel hub you need to worry about...If yours looks rusty, then it's not had the upgrade, and is going to fail! I know that my 96 had NEVER had the rotor replaced until I did it 2 months ago...that's 10 years...so, it's entirely possible that others are in the same boat.
Ed
web/gadget guru

Ed Kummel said:
Take your jeep to the dealership immediatly! You risk death or injury if you do not!
This is a known issue and there is a recall on this.
Seriously...this happened on my wife's jeep and when I discovered what was making the noise, it scared me out of my wits!

Or it could be the driveshaft needing a little grease on the yoke. There was a TSB on this.

Back