• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ANY OC GUYS

rogiii

NAXJA Forum User
89 cherokee been sitting long time payed $400 for it theres a couple pick a parts close by been finding alot of great used parts. So far i've replaced injectors,front wheel bearings,calipers,rotors rear brake cyliders,found nice hitch. all parts are in great condition and very cheep!. Anybody out there did there own lift out there or have one for sale ? 3'' or higher.
Just looken for garage guys that like to work on there Jeeps and hang out and help each other.

Just looken for garage guys that like to work on there Jeeps and hang out and help each other.

Nobody like that around here.

Just kidding. There seems to be a work party just about every weekend. And a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people.

johnnyc,toyota wrench , Nice to know there is some help my mech background is detroit diesel just got the jeep fixer up to get into off road I get satisfaction working and figuring out things myself but sometimes you need a little help and offer help to get er done. Im heading in the garage to look at my elec fan its not coming on and in traffic it over heats I put 12 volts directly to the fan and it works so now I have to locate the switch to check that Im shure its in the radiator ?
By the way does anybody know if there is a stock 3 row radiator that will work in my 89 cherokee?

I'm not too far from Garden Grove but I wont be able to extend much help for the next week or so due to home projects. Got a baby coming.

Sounds like your temp sensor might be bad. Keep your eyes peeled in the For Sale forums for lift parts.

x2 on the temp sensor. try replacing it. there is also a relay on the fenderwell next to the airbox, I believe that controls the fan on the RENIX (pre-HO) engines. Unplug the temp sensor, the fan should come on immediately. if not, swap out that relay. if it still won't come on, wire up a switch to it and give up lol :D

I'm down to help wen you need it and might sell my lift in the next couple months its a 6.5 rough country. So not the best brand but it will be cheep hit me up when you need help 714-328. 2156

The sensor is in the drivers side radiator tank, it's the large plug with two wires coming out of it. Personally I'd suspect the relay before the switch, there may be two relays in the general area, if you have OEM fog lamps there will be one on the fender wall for that and another nearby for the electric fan (I forget exactly where they positioned it from the factory, mine has been moved around a bit).

I just got in from the garage I unpluged conector to the temp switch hooked up my VO meter to see if i could get a continuity signal out of the switch I don't have a guage just a light for now in the jeep but have a hand held lazer unit ran up the jeep taking readings all over the radiator, thermostat, back where the temp sender is I also coverd front of radiator with a blanket. noticed all my readings were in the 220's enough to get a signal but my readings at the radiator were all over the place especialy were the switch threads in all I could get was 150'. So I took switch out and boiled water with my vo on switch gave a signal right about 200'. since I don't know the history on this one Its sounding to me like a pluged radiator. What do you guys think?
Since Im fixen it up for 4x4 and want to use it for towing should I get a 3row or just rod out my old one or other options.

Rogiii '89 closed cooling system, probably got air in the head/ radiator. Jack up the rear end as high as you can, fill the reservoir and pull the gauge sender at the back left of the cylinder to release trapped air. Run it for a few minuites and repeat 3-4x to get all the air out. If your cooling bottle leaks replace it. Detroits-great, I wrench on heavy equipment, mostly Cummins, Isuzu powered.

If you upgrade radiators I have heard radiatorbarn.com is good. Upgrade to a 91+ open system and change the cooling bottle to a overflow bottle and the radiator to one with a standard fill cap, I think there is a FAQ in modified tech forum.

Last edited:
Glad I found this fourm I was on jeep cherokee fourm first to see if any local guys with jeeps not one response thanks for taken the time to leave me a message and your contact hope to see you guys out on the trails soon. Now I got to get back to shaking the jeep down so I don't break down.

Back