• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Educate me on skid plates

no_gamecocks

NAXJA Forum User
It sounds basic, and I've done some searching, but essentially I can't quite figure out what skids cover what on XJs. I'm a TJ owner, so underneath the Wrangler you basically have the T-case skid (factory or otherwise) and an engine and/tranny skid that goes in front. On my recently acquired 94 XJ (auto tranny, 231) it has a narrow crossmember only. Looks to me like I need to add something both forward and aft of the xmember. I've go a FT 6" Long Arm on the way -- ordered it without the optional skids b/c looking at the pix I frankly couldn't tell what it was covering up. I may simply be confused about terminology as it applies to XJs. Appreciate any advice or links.

same ole stuff. Gas tank skid, engine skid, transfer case skid. Factory had gas, a weird kinda steering skid like you see on IFS toyotas, and transfer case skid. And of course there is heavy duty aftermarket cross members.

no_gamecocks said:
It sounds basic, and I've done some searching, but essentially I can't quite figure out what skids cover what on XJs. I'm a TJ owner, so underneath the Wrangler you basically have the T-case skid (factory or otherwise) and an engine and/tranny skid that goes in front. On my recently acquired 94 XJ (auto tranny, 231) it has a narrow crossmember only. Looks to me like I need to add something both forward and aft of the xmember. I've go a FT 6" Long Arm on the way -- ordered it without the optional skids b/c looking at the pix I frankly couldn't tell what it was covering up. I may simply be confused about terminology as it applies to XJs. Appreciate any advice or links.
The Full Traction transfer case skid replaces the crossmember as well. It's pretty beefy and I haven't seen any complaints about it yet. Since your getting their lift, you might as well get their skid since you know it will fit with the arm mounts.

The first two pieces of armor your XJ needs are a t-case skid (which range from small ones that cover only the low-hanging portion of the case to big sheet-type skids that span from "frame rail" to "frame rail" and back about two feet from the crossmember) and rocker protection. A good set of rock rails tucks up very tightly under the rocker panel and attaches to both the "frame rail" and the pinch seam under the rocker where the two pieces of sheetmetal come together in a spot-welded seam that points down at the ground. These will keep your doors functional and really must not be overlooked.

After you have those two covered, you can worry about a gas tank skid. These really vary, from the stock piece which for a factory skid works quite well, to a number of different models that protect the tank to various degrees and attach to the vehicle in various ways.

I have only seen a handful of XJs with engine/tranny skids - they aren't really necessary unless you're doing things waaay beyond beginner status. I've yet to put a mark on my tranny pan or oil pan (knock knock knock on wood).

You didn't ask about tow points, but those cannot be overlooked. You need either a set of stout bumpers with beefier than stock mounting, or a set of towhooks and/or hitch properly mounted to spread the load. Remember that unlike your TJ, the XJ's "frame rails" are just one component of its unibody construction and aren't able to withstand a towhook being attached with two bolts.

Welcome to the wonderful world of wheeling an XJ. You'll be amazed at how much better they wheel than those "other" Jeeps. :cheers:

What Rd said:
The first two pieces of armor your XJ needs are a t-case skid (which range from small ones that cover only the low-hanging portion of the case to big sheet-type skids that span from "frame rail" to "frame rail" and back about two feet from the crossmember) and rocker protection. :cheers:
Okay. This is the sort of thing I was wondering about. There's evidently some variation between different manufacturers t-case skids, and since they are often pictured on websites uninstalled I couldn't tell. Tow points will be taken care of up front with my new bumper, though I'll need to investigate the rear (maybe a receiver or something). I'm thinking of boxing the rockers if I have enough raw materials. Fortunately I've come across enough good write ups on the whole pinch seam deal to get some ideas.

Starscream918 said:
The Full Traction transfer case skid replaces the crossmember as well. It's pretty beefy and I haven't seen any complaints about it yet. Since your getting their lift, you might as well get their skid since you know it will fit with the arm mounts.

I might end up going that route after all. There was really no cost savings ordering it at the same time. Wanted to do a little research first.

Back