• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to pick up an XJ thoughts needed!

H8D-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys a friend of mine bought an xj as a daily driver and I helped fix it up so that's how I ended up on the forum, now I'm hooked and want one. I'm looking at this XJ on craigslist and want to know what your guys opinions are of the xj in general and the combo of mods on it. I'm mainly looking for a trail rig for camping and some wheeling and something I can use as a daily driver sometimes. So check out the link and let me know what you think, thanks!!

http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/1749962396.html

Engine, transmission, transfer case, miles on engine?

Lot of money for 90, but it has a lot of upgrades.

In the title of the ad it says 4.0L ..
I do agree on lots o money for what it is.

It is a 4.0 with an auto trans, not sure on transfer case and not sure on miles. Ill find out tomorrow. If it was a stock transfer case and 180k miles or less for $2500 would it be worth it as long as it ran good?

That looks like a decent deal too me considering the upgrades. If it is in good running condition I would think that would be a decent buy. What brand of lift is it?

Sounded decent too me as well. Not sure on the lift im guessing it might be rubicon express. Is there any lift kits i should stay away from?? Also how do you guys think the 4.10 gearing would be for daily driving???

sounds a bit pricey but hey thats what hageling is for, not a fan of the control arm drop brackets though, and i'm sure you'll hear good and bad things about that ez locker never been a big fan myself but i've heard alot of people say good things about them on here

sounds a bit pricey but hey thats what hageling is for, not a fan of the control arm drop brackets though, and i'm sure you'll hear good and bad things about that ez locker never been a big fan myself but i've heard alot of people say good things about them on here

What do you think a fair price would be?? I read a littel on the control arm drop brackets, they seem alright. Whats the downside to em??

On the Ez locker it seems like people hate it or love it. If it really sucks i would just change it when i get it haha.

I'm trying to figure out how this thing is over priced, this has at least $2,000 worth of upgrades if not more and I've seen guys on here give $1000 to $2000 for an untouched xj thats in good shape. Looks to me for the money you save yourself a lot of work espesialy if it is good quality stuff thats been done!

3k is a good deal to me for sure. i'd jump on it and i agree your really cheap if you think 3k for a cleanly built xj is alot especially if its mechanically sound. it looks ready to hit most trails you can throw at it with ease

Sounded decent too me as well. Not sure on the lift im guessing it might be rubicon express. Is there any lift kits i should stay away from?? Also how do you guys think the 4.10 gearing would be for daily driving???

4.10 on 33's would probably be similar to 31's on stock gears. It shouldn't be too bad. Offer him $2500 for it and see if he'll bite. Its not a bad Jeep.

jeep people are by nature cheap bastards.... $3k isnt that much, considering it's got a built rear axle.

Holy crap, I agree with you. I paid $3450 for my new 97 and some may think I paid too much but its was a good Jeep in my price range so I took it

Guy says it is a custom lift with add a leafs in the rear and hangers. 2 inch rubicon springs in the front with 2 inch spacers. Has 170k. Says it's solid with no death wobble but does squeak, says it needs a suspension bushing kit.

I could give you my red 92 for free, and if you tried to build it just like the one in the ad, it could cost you more than $3k.

However, if the engine is tired, or any of the drive train is icky, it could be the beginning of long term money sucker.

If some retard built it, and you have to fix a bunch of stuff, it won't be worth as much. If it's well built using quality parts for 2500 I would go for it. Inspect it carefully, check the gear setup, etc etc.

Well just got back from buying the jeep. Drove it two hours from Stockton to San Jose. Drove pretty nice steering is a little loose, some little squeaks and rattles as expected. Engine runs great and tranny shifts perfect same with the transfer case. Transfer cases engages into 4hi and 4lo like butter.

Only thing is over the altimont pass which is a pretty good climb to 1000 feet from sea level it got really hot. Was sitting right at or below 210 and the more I did the climb te higher it got. It reached all the way to the beginning of the red as I got to the summit then it cooled back down as I coasted down.

He said it has a radiator from a 94 in it and the electric fan is wired to a switch so I had it on the whole time. I think I'm gunna do a coolant flush, 180 thermostat and some watter wetter or something. In traffic or at idle it was fine, stuck right at 210 or barely above.

Overheating could be because of a dead water pump, or maybe the open system conversion wasn't done right... it could also be low on coolant. I wouldn't do a 180 thermostat, no real need for that, at the temps where cooling becomes an issue the thermostat will be open either way.

Back