• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4-5 Seconds to start

Whiplash_Syndicate

NAXJA Forum User
When i bought my jeep 3 months ago i could get in and just turn key to crank and in 1-2 seconds it would start but now it takes 4-5 seconds to start.I have put a new starter on and it seems like around that time it started this but if i turn key to run for 2-3 seconds and then start it fires right up and that makes me think its the fuel pressure regulator letting all the fuel run back to the tank.Wanted to get a few ideas from you guys not to worried as starter has lifetime warranty but don't want to have to replace it to often because i use it more to start it.Its a 92 5 speed.

Typical, probably losing fuel pressure.

eBay seller jbass195 has inline check valves for $14 + $2 s/h, you want the 3/8" model.

Install it in the fuel line between the tank flange and the fuel pump. You will need two hose clamps.

As Joe mentioned, you most likely are losing fuel pressure somewhere. A fuel pressure gauge and the knowledge to use it can help you isolate it.

You need to be careful not to mix the cranking circuit (how fast the starter turns the engine over) with the fuel circuit. If the engine cranks over fast and efficiently, your starter is fine.

Your problem is most likely fuel pressure related.

The fuel system is draining down losing pressure. Get the check valve Joe mentioned and call it done.

Mine has the same problem, turn the key to the "on" position, don't start it, let the fuel pump prime, then do it a second time allowing the pump to prime and then try starting it. Mine needs a check valve also but I just live with it 'cause I'm cheap haha

sounds like a normal jeep to me :laugh:

Back