• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 vrs Dana 35

dbcooper100

NAXJA Forum User
Have a Dana 35 in my 01 XJ, found a Chrysler 8.25 from a 98 XJ considering installing the 8.25, however there are no backng plates or brake parts with it, will the brake parts from the dana 35 fit on the chrysler 8.25

Thanks for any help,
Dale

No, but depending on how many miles and such are on your brakes, you may want to install new hardware anyways.

Go to the Junk yard. Might as well upgrade to disk brakes while its out. Pretty simple swap!

Find backing plates for A ZJ. Open the axle tube hole on them. Bolt them up with new hardware. Put new ebrake pads on and get some rotors and calipers.

Brakes should fit... the brake page in the catalog doesn't mention axle models, just 9" vs 10" (police package only) and ABS vs non ABS (and there were non ABS d35s.)

The part number for the right-hand backing plate on a 98 (9" w/o ABS as an example) is 5252 720, it was superceded by 5017 760AA which is the part number for an 01 right-hand backing plate (i.e. if you ask the dealership parts guy for backing plates for your 98 they are going to give you ones for an 01.) Since everything else attaches to the backing plates I take this as proof that they should swap.

That being said, you may want to either (a) upgrade to disk brakes using the ZJ rear disk swap or liberty rear disk swap, or (b) replace the brake hardware at this point anyways.

Do you have to change proportioning valves when you do the brake swap?
For discs, a dual diaphragm booster and a prop valve compliment the discs very well.

What are you going to do about the the ABS system?

My guess is he does he does have ABS. For some reason I feel like I remember that ever since the early to mid 90's the non-ABS models came with an 8.25 and the ABS models came with the D35. :dunno:

And I agree, do the disk swap if it needs new hardware. I just swapped the dual diaphragm booster/prop valve/disks onto my rig and it's nice. I'm pretty sure you can just swap out the internals from the prop valve and it will do the same thing as swapping out the whole prop valve. That's what I did; it was much easier to just take off the prop valve cap, swap out the internals, and then throw the cap back on and bleed it all out than to try and pull the prop valve out as a whole.

My guess is he does he does have ABS. For some reason I feel like I remember that ever since the early to mid 90's the non-ABS models came with an 8.25 and the ABS models came with the D35. :dunno:
Not entirely correct. All ABS models came with the d35, but not all d35s were due to ABS. If you didn't ask for ABS the factory threw in whatever they happened to have on hand at that moment. It's like the full size spare option - all LSD-equipped XJs had a fullsize spare, but not all fullsize spare equipped vehicles had LSD.

That being said, I very rarely see d35s without ABS around here, the ratio of 8.25s to d35s probably varies greatly depending on when shipments of axles were received.

The 98' 8.25 is good since it has 29 spline axle shafts and it's easy to do the ZJ disc brake swap, but you could just as easily pick up a 95'+ Ford 8.8 and reweld new spring perches on it, get the special drive shaft adapter to mate to the 8.8 and have a 31 spline axle with disc brakes that Currie and other axle manufactures model their disc brakes off of.

But for a bolt in it's hard to beat a 97'+ XJ 8.25 its a sleeper axle. :)

Do you have to change proportioning valves when you do the brake swap?

Pick up a ZJ prop valve at the same time you get the other parts.
All you have to do is swap the spring/plunger/Bleeder from the ZJ prop valve into yours, It takes about 5 minutes to do.
Use the search function & search ZJ prop valve, There are like 10 good writeups.

Hey thanks guys. I just stumbled on this thread and opened it more out of curiosity. Who knew I would find a new upgrade that I can't live without? It sounds really simple too. I'll do the searches and my homework when I get ready for this. Right now the wife is on my back about spending too much time with the jeep and not paying attention to here, blah blah blah... I really wasn't listening so I'm not sure what she was saying. I had a wrench in my hand and it was time to work on the jeep.

Back