• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Vibe, Opinions?

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
94 Cherokee, 5spd manual, 4x4 with a Ford 8.8 rear end, RE 3.5" lift with full leaf packs and 3/4" coil spacers up front.

I put a new trans mount on last week, and I've noticed since having it back on the road its been having more and more vibes each time I take her out.

Vibes occur at pretty much every speed from idle, and on decel... they're exaggerated when going up or down hills, but disappear completely if I hit the clutch.

I'm guessing the new trans mount changed the angle just enough to where the shaft could be rubbing now? Or does this sound more like a bad u-joint (which I could replace tomorrow)?

How bad is it to continue driving like this for another week if the u-joint is ok and the shaft is just rubbing? I need the Jeep to work for a week, then I head back to school and won't need her until December.

94 Cherokee, 5spd manual, 4x4 with a Ford 8.8 rear end, RE 3.5" lift with full leaf packs and 3/4" coil spacers up front.

I put a new trans mount on last week, and I've noticed since having it back on the road its been having more and more vibes each time I take her out.

Vibes occur at pretty much every speed from idle, and on decel... they're exaggerated when going up or down hills, but disappear completely if I hit the clutch.

I'm guessing the new trans mount changed the angle just enough to where the shaft could be rubbing now? Or does this sound more like a bad u-joint (which I could replace tomorrow)?

How bad is it to continue driving like this for another week if the u-joint is ok and the shaft is just rubbing? I need the Jeep to work for a week, then I head back to school and won't need her until December.

what do you mean by the shaft is rubbing? rubing what?

since the vibs go away when you push in the clutch, my first impresion whould be the mount is poly or just hasnt broke in yet.

have you checked for a bad/worn u-joint?
or may be time for a transdrop or sye.

The mount isn't poly, its an OEM.

I was thinking the ears on the yoke might be rubbing/binding if the angle is bad... which would mean SYE time.

Going to check for a bad u joint today.

Throw some paint from a paint pen on anything you think might be rubbing, take it for a short drive, check if the paint got smudged or ended up on anything else.

on my 89, 5spd with 4.5" of lift, there is just enough ujoint clearance at the slip yoke to not bind/rub. if it does make contact, you can grind the ears down a bit for clearance or use a slip yoke from a yj, i believe.

to reduce rear driveline vibs, i have rear axle shims and use a shackle with 3" leaf packs. i probably should have a SYE.

Verdict: driveshaft u-joint at the transfer case end.

It was bad. Really bad. Glad I decided to check it out before driving.

One of the caps had exploded out the side, and the joint had just been wearing down from side-loading in the caps; no bearings left.

I'd be willing to bet she drives much better once I get a new one in.

531165388_1876572969_0.jpeg

Here's a pic I snagged with my phone... note how twisted two sides of the joint are, and the broken cap!

Updating with a working photo:
ujointfail.jpg

YUP... thats your problem!
scary, aint it?

i had a similar situation ,mine(at the diff) wasnt half that bad, and it drove quite scary. i delayed it untill i installed a sye, and the last week or so daily driving it, i was afraid to park on hills.

YUP... thats your problem!
scary, aint it?

i had a similar situation ,mine(at the diff) wasnt half that bad, and it drove quite scary. i delayed it untill i installed a sye, and the last week or so daily driving it, i was afraid to park on hills.

I think it was your post in someone else's thread that convinced me to look at the joint... similar symptoms.

I had to beat on that thing for a couple hours to get it out, but I bet another 15 minutes of driving would have spit it out..

There should be a "sticky" just on "looks fine","seems good","I dont see anything"(I hate comments like that)--if only we had X-ray vision!

holy moly. That's pretty gross. How do the insides of the yoke ears look? I would think they would be pretty torn up from that and you might want to look into replacing them.

The yoke ears were fine, I inspected them before putting it back together. One had a burr on it from the cap that exploded, but i filed it down.

The Jeep will be getting an SYE once I graduate, and I won't be driving her much until then at this point.

Back