• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering only when cold

Vanderlei

NAXJA Forum User
Hi!

I have a problem with my power steering. It only works before the engine has reached operating temp and when it is hot I have to rev it to get full power steering. The power steering has worked great for more than a year of daily driving and about 15 days of wheeling since I bought it.

The problems started when I changed power steering fluid and ran it with the return line disengaged to empty it completely. I just ran it for maybe 5 sec. The pump would not work properly after that and leaked even more than it was doing before.
After that I have installed another used pump from a ZJ 4.0 and it has never worked properly. There is no air in the fluid and it does not make a lot of noise as a failed/failing pump usually does. I got a bad belt squeal after the pump installation and changed idler pulley with no effect and then changed water pump and the squeal disappeared. I thought that maybe the water pump was so hard to turn that it somehow made the ps-pump not turn correctly on the belt. But the old water pump turned very easily so maybe I was just lucky and got the right tension on the belt to get rid of the squeal. :confused:
The steering works just fine when I drive it around town but as soon as I am standing still and want to turn my wheels (31" AT's) I have to put in in neutral and rev it or move forward. The steering box does not move and the uniframe is reinforced
A new PS-pump here in Sweden costs about 250$ and a Durango steering box about the same.
Can anybody give me any tips on where to go from here?
Does the ZJ 4.0 PS-pump have the same rating as a Cherokee 4.0 pump?
Have I ruined the steering box by idling the engine to make it empty out the fluid?

Looking forward to your help :roll:

The power steering pump makes pressure, the steering gear controls the pressure. Sounds like the spool valve in the steering gear box is binding when hot. You may try some power steering additives to see if it'll work free again before replacing it.

Great! Thanks a lot for your help :)
I will try that. I have only found one additive that seems to fit the bill
Lucas Oil but I can not find anyone who sells it in Sweden :viking:. Do you know of any other brands that have similar products that I can check if I can find in Sweden?

Best regards
/j

Back