• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dad needs help with sons XJ

ZestyCj7

NAXJA Forum User
My son has a 95 XJ Country, and it's showing a code 76--Ballast bypass relay.
I have looked and looked and can't find this dang thing anywhere. Would it show this code if it was removed ?
Any help would be great.
Thanks, Don.

If its like the old ones it should be on the drivers side inner fenderwell right next to the air box... A white ceramic ballast with two connections one on each end.

Justin

If it setup like the Renix ballast, on driver side fenderwell, a little metal piece with 2 wires connected to it, you can bypass this by connecting them together. And you will need to clear codes (I.E. disconnect negative batt cable for a couple minutes.)

That's what I read too, it keeps it quieter. But every write up I read, said to remove it, and hook the two wires together.

The one on a '90 my son had cracked the ceramic block in half... I ductaped it back together, just like any proper Jeep repair, and it worked just fine after that!

Ballast resister was removed from the fuel pump circuit 94+.

The error you're seeing isn't from the ballast resistor it's from the bypass relay which is located on the pass side by the main fuse block it will be under the cruise control circuit or possibly mounted to front of fuse box. It is a relay that plugs into a socket wired directly into the harness.

Back