• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noisy Yukon gears in 8.25

nates94xj

NAXJA Forum User
Recently had 4.10 gears installed. Nitro in the front and Yukon in the back. The Nitro gears are absolutely quiet, the Yukon gears are kind of annoyingly loud. Am I just stuck with a whiny gear or could the installer try to set them up again to run quieter?

i might have the set-up rechecked. installed yukon 4.56s in my d30 2 weeks ago and they are pretty quiet. i remember reading on randy's ring and pinion that yukons are manufactured for quieter running compared to some other gear sets

Definitely have them re-done. If you paid a professional shop to install high quality, new gears, they should be quiet.

Not all Yukon gears are the same... YK part number gears are more expensive and are noted for quiet running, ZG part number gears are less expensive and are noted "not for quiet running applications". Judging by the fact you had Nitro installed in the front, I'll bet you got them from someone offering a combo of Nitro/Econo Yukon, right?

Of course I'd love to see a pic of the pattern, spec on finish pinion preload, spec on backlash, etc...

Definitely have them re-done. If you paid a professional shop to install high quality, new gears, they should be quiet.

+1.
I had a set of 4.11 superiors installed front & Rear, The front was quiet & the rear was noisy, apparently it is harder to properly set up the 8.25 than the D30 (I have heard this many times & do not know if it is true but I suspect that it is) . I had the shop adjust the rear & it was still noisy. After a year I could not stand the noise & with my Jeep suffering from inchites :sad1:
I re-geared to 4.56s, it was done by a different shop & done correctly, No more gear noise!

I bought the Nitro gears new from Just Differentials. They just looked like they were machined a lot better. The installer said they are made in Italy with Dana molds. I bought the Yukon gears from a private party, new and vacuum sealed in the box, who bought them from a friend at Randy's. The installer said he hates installing Yukon gears, and he thinks someone with dyslexia does the number stamping on the gears. He said it took him three tries to get them setup. I guess I'll go for a fourth. Thanks for the input.

They don't mold gears, they machine / hob them - minor nitpick there though.

Was the part number on the box a YK or a ZG part number?

unfortunatly once the gears are installed and run a pattern sets they will never quiet completly,make sure to tell them whether there noisey on accell decell coast.

+1.
I had a set of 4.11 superiors installed front & Rear, The front was quiet & the rear was noisy, apparently it is harder to properly set up the 8.25 than the D30
To someone familiar with setting up dana axles and no experience with the 8.25 maybe.
They don't mold gears, they machine / hob them - minor nitpick there though.
Nit pick to the nit pick: They the gears are machined from forgings, not castings. :D

Quality of the gears does make a difference though. When I did mine, after minor research and advice from a a dealership mech. friend, I bought Yukon fronts and Chrysler rears.(not the way to save money there!)and there was a huge difference in the finish. The the teeth on the chrysler set were almost polished.

Its all about the install,my biggest beef is how some install the ring gear.Proper prep and a good install will cover even the cheapest of gearsets!Was the carrier checked for run-out prior to the install?Was it checked after the install?Pinion bearing pre-load is absolutely critical on a crushsleeve set-up.

Back