• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 transmission strange noise and smoke

Danwa

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1988 with the AW-4 automatic. I was heading up a fairly steep pass with transmission in the power mode. I suddenly started to hear a whining noise similar to what a power steering pump sounds like with no fluid.
I then pulled over and lifted the hood. Puffs of smoke were coming out near the bell housing area. I looked at the fluid on the dipstick. I first saw nothing, and tried it again, and the level was ok.
I turned around and headed home. It now seems ok but then again, its not under the heavy load of the pass. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Well, if the trans fluid overheats and/or is aerated you would get the whine similar to PS pump from the trans pump.

Type of fluid, how many miles/years on the fluid, what type of driving?

I am using Chevron dexron mercon. I do have about 30k on the fluid. I typically do drain down and partial refill. I have not done a full transfusion or ever dropped the pan. I use this as a daily driver and don't do very much towing.
Do you think I did any damage? I stopped and pulled over as soon as I heard it, then drove it home.

Interesting.

Slippage equals heat, heat reduces life of the transmission fluid. On a hard pull, slippage may be putting out too much heat for the fluid to handle at 30k. I would start there, do a poor man's flush on the transmission--search for Poor Man's Flush.

Back