• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running lights seem dimmer than they should be?

Nickfast

NAXJA Forum User
Compared to others I have seen, both front and rear running lights seem on the dim side.
Is this a Renix-era thing, or do I have a little gremlin drinking some of the electrons on the way to the lights?

Nick

Renix era XJs are notorious for having poor grounds, get ahold of a wiring diagram for the jeep *whatever year yours is* and make sure all the grounds are clean and tight.

XJs are also known for having undersized wiring on the lighting, especially in the front end to the headlights. I'm betting your problem lies with the grounds though.

Well, mains under the hood are better then new-1/0 cables with nice clean connections.
Can't vouch for the rest of them, however.
Also has the towing package w/the 7 wire plug-which was crunched when I got it and the parking light fuse was dead.
On the towing package, are the trailer running lights on relays, or is that only the turn/brake lights?

Nick

Mine all run off of the same circuit, with an OEM 4 wire trailer hookup.. but mine is a 95. If the trailer has a short it blows the whole circuit for me.

there is a plug you can disconnect from the rest of the harness behind the drivers side rear trim panel, might help you rule out the trailer wiring as part of your problem.

Definitely hit the grounds.

Back