• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone have any KC light covers in V.C.?

nitrogt101

NAXJA Forum User
CHP officer that likes to hang around Moorpark college on the 118 finally decided to pull me over for my 6x9s on the roof, problem is I only have one cover for the 2 lights(who knows where the other one went). He let me go and told me next time he sees me they better be covered or not there, it'd be a real pain to take them off, since all the wiring is taped and sealed up. Anyone have any KC 6x9 covers I can buy or borrow for about a week until I can get some shipped? I gotta go back to school wednesday, and I know he'll be there!:doh:

Oh, and he not only bitched to me about that, also my lights on the back that are obviously not wired(wires hanging down), no front lisence plate, tire coverage on fender flares(I'm running 245/75, what the heck?), and my exhaust(header, magnaflow cat, flowmaster 40, not THAT loud!).hasta I'm on the local sheriff dept, and this guy still had nothing better to do than bug me about my jeep.

nitrogt101 said:
... I'm on the local sheriff dept...

Show him your badge? Should be the end of the problem.

If you lack a real badge, then cover it with masking tape.

nitrogt101 said:
I'm on the local sheriff dept, and this guy still had nothing better to do than bug me about my jeep.
What's being on sheriff's dept have to do with anything? If your jeep does not meet the requirements... well, ya know ;)

Kejtar said:
What's being on sheriff's dept have to do with anything? If your jeep does not meet the requirements... well, ya know ;)

Hey, you almost sound like him. The badge is on the way, the I.D. worked for now though, he actually saw my issued sheriff rain gear in the back of my jeep(when he was searching bc he asked if he could) and started to drill me why I have a jacket that says sheriff, so I showed him my I.D. But still, he was trying to tell me for "safe highway operation and legality" yada yada yada. And how as law enforcement officers we need to set an example, I was wondering if he ever considered the example he was setting right there for the C.H.P. showing me how they literally do not have anything to do at certain times except vehicle code enforcements. I just wish he would picked on any of the many vehicles with green or blue blinkers that run around here, instead of tearing apart my jeep.

I'm not trying to complain about him though, just lookin for some covers! And he told me paper does not cut it, it needs to be "opaque"(spelling?), and paper can still let light through, so thats not going to work. I may put some cardboard up there for the time being, just dont really wanna advertise my white trash. :laugh3:

Trash bags? Socks maybe?

Duct tape to cover the light for now, Yeah I know it looks crappy. He has a point about it not being covered. I get harrassed about my Hella 4000's on the bumper all the time... I am curious was it captn buzz cut in the camaro that runs the 23/101 up there???

Frisbee and duct tape?:bs:

No, he was an older guy in a crown vic. I can understand why they need to be covered too, but its still a pain because people like to pop those covers off at school and take em, who knows for what. Oh, and a frisbee may look funny over 6X9 lights, but thanks for the tip. :laugh3:

I just ordered some from 4wp in T.O., a soft set for $18, they'll be there in "5-7 days" so we'll see how that goes. I'll just take the chance that I dont cross paths with the same guy again until then. On a side note, anyone have any ideas for my front plate, there is no mount on the bumper, i'd rather not just use self tapping screws into the bumper. Zip ties to grill? Anything else?

How about those little mini frisbees? :)

Or couldn't you just loosen the mounting bolts and swivel the lights around so that they face the grill?

Or I heard somewhere (?) that if you take the fuse out, you can say that the lights are non-operational.

The lights are on my roof rack, so it does not matter which direction they face, and when I told him the rear ones are obviously not wired he said it does not matter if they are wired/unwired, fused/unfused, plugged in/un-plugged, even bulbs/no bulbs, as long as they are up there they have to be covered, period.

I wouldnt worry too much bout him pulling you over again. If he did not give you a fix it ticket the first time thats all he can do this time. Not to mention the fact that you could show proof of fixing the problem with your online order confirmation. As far as I know there is no deadline for Fix It tickets, and they can be cleared by a desk officer at any station. Did find out that lights on rear bumper do not need to be covered because they are low enough. The only time that Ive had any trouble is with light bars.

jeepbreed said:
I wouldnt worry too much bout him pulling you over again. If he did not give you a fix it ticket the first time thats all he can do this time. Not to mention the fact that you could show proof of fixing the problem with your online order confirmation. As far as I know there is no deadline for Fix It tickets, and they can be cleared by a desk officer at any station. Did find out that lights on rear bumper do not need to be covered because they are low enough. The only time that Ive had any trouble is with light bars.
Uncovered lights are a moving violation and as such count on your record just like running a red light etc. etc.
When I borrowed my son's light covers I used a couple of pieces of electrical tape and just made an X accros the front of the light. Its legal and its easy to remove.
BTW NEVER give law enforcment members permission to search your vehicle. NEVER! They never have any good reason to search your car. Don't get me wrong, I am very pro law enforcement, but they have rules and laws to follow just like you and me.
Rick

Jump This said:
Uncovered lights are a moving violation and as such count on your record just like running a red light etc. etc.
When I borrowed my son's light covers I used a couple of pieces of electrical tape and just made an X accros the front of the light. Its legal and its easy to remove.
BTW NEVER give law enforcment members permission to search your vehicle. NEVER! They never have any good reason to search your car. Don't get me wrong, I am very pro law enforcement, but they have rules and laws to follow just like you and me.
Rick

You're right, we do have rules and laws we must follow in vehicle searches. However I dissagree with your statement that there is never any good reason to search a car, I wont get into details about that though. I personally, even before I was a law enforcement officer, had no problem allowing "them" to search my vehicle, there is nothing to hide in there.

Back on topic, the lights covers are in at 4wp, I'm picking them up tomorrow, but thanks for the ideas everyone!

nitrogt101 said:
You're right, we do have rules and laws we must follow in vehicle searches. However I dissagree with your statement that there is never any good reason to search a car, I wont get into details about that though. I personally, even before I was a law enforcement officer, had no problem allowing "them" to search my vehicle, there is nothing to hide in there.

Back on topic, the lights covers are in at 4wp, I'm picking them up tomorrow, but thanks for the ideas everyone!

I didn't say there was never ANY reason to search, I just said there are not any goood reasons for searches! :D
Its just a bit of fun to say 'no' and watch the reaction!
And once again, I will note that I am very pro law enforcement!
EVERYONE can be fun to mess with!
Rick:pirate1:

Here are the new covers, soft vinyl KC red on black, hard to see in the pic, but what the heck:
100_0718.jpg

Edit: Also displayed is my ugly front plate, which wont be on there too long.

Back