• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trouble ever since i drained and flushed

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
88 xj 6cyl 4.0 auto trans
I tried to burp the jeep so the engine would take coolant and it was spilling out so i think it was because i didnt have the nose of the jeep down or up how ever its supposed to go I just forgot that step so in the process of burping coolant was running down the back of the engine after i put the temp sending unit back on of course it stop leaking anyway i got the jeep filled and everything but I've noticed that no matter how hot it is my fan could be on and everything and my temp gauge doesn't move but the thing is it just worked. So what could cause it to stop reading?

A bad sending unit

Sending units read the temperature of coolant, not air. You probably still have an air pocket in there.

Small favor for next time? Punctuation? My head hurts from reading the first post. Thanks.

A bad sending unit

That is most likely, especially after you had it out--they like to crack.

You can try grounding the sender wire, that should peg the gauge.

That is most likely, especially after you had it out--they like to crack.

You can try grounding the sender wire, that should peg the gauge.

Could you elaborate a little for me! do u want me to ground the wire to the firewall or something should how exactly would i do that its a shoe shape connector should i cut it off so i have just the wire? do i need the sending unit i heard so much about how the jeep really doesn't need all the sensors thats on there!!!!

The motor shouldn't really need the sending unit- it's for the user to know where the temp is at to avoid overheating and warping heads.

You could use a small section of wire- stick it into the right slot and touch it to a ground - have someone watch the gauge.

Not sure how much a new one is, but it'll be a lot cheaper than getting your head redecked at the machine shop..

Oh yeah, when you do get a new one, park downhill so the rear of the block is elevated. Tighten the new sensor after the air is out, while it is still leaking antifreeze all over your driveway. Then top off your pressure bottle and test her out.

Last edited:
Well if you're driving without the sender, be careful it doesn't overheat. Short of an IR temperature gun, I don't really know how you'd keep track of the heat. Just watch for white smoke I guess...

I would say get the air out of the system, then be careful driving. It shouldn't CAUSE you to overheat, but you obviously will not be able to tell.

Trouble after trouble gotta love these jeeps...... I got the new sensor but now the old sensor wont come out i even brought some new racheting wrenches. It sucks there definitely not good for this job, I tried to use a vise too but it just kept slipping off i originally took it out the first time with a 13 deep socket. That or any other 13 i have isn't working a 12mm wont fit on how do i get this thin of any ideas?

I'd suggest an SAE socket, if metric won't fit that's about all it could be.

its very little room without taking everything out of my way!! ex. map sensor, wires, etc.
I first tried a 13 mm deep socket kept slipping off, then a 12 mm deep would fit on so i tried a 6 point 13mm and it slips too? then i tried the wrench looking thing that u put on the ratchet 1/2 its quite cool actually but just not good for this i guess
i didnt try the hammer just scared of breaking something. Im all outta ideas i even tried vise grips......

ok ill make sure i buy one today. question i grounded a wire n ran it to the temp sending unit n the gauge read extremely high all the way to the top

Back