• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gears should I expect in my parts rig?

dasbulliwagen

NAXJA Forum User
I was recently given a 1986 XJ with a 2.8 V6, and auto trans, and selec-trac transfer case. I did a search trying to see if I could find out what gearing this rig should have come with, but only came up with stuff for the 4.0 and 2.5. I just wanted to know in general what gearing an XJ like this would normally come with. And would the front axle be a disco or non-disco? I would find this out for myslef but I dont have it stored near me right now, and I dont get over to where it is very often. Any help would be greatly appreciated.... if only for the knowledge of what I might be able to do with this thing in the future. Thanks!

Didn't they get D44's too?

Thats tow package ones from the late 80's, only ends up being like 15% of the ones produced though from what I remember. Also missed you other question, your front end is most definitely a disco unless it was swapped or something.

Not all the V6's were 4.10's. Mine had 3.73's in it. Select trac would be a non disco CV type axle as I think this was the AWD transfer case.

Thanks for the responses! The rear axle is definately a 35. The one time I was able to look it over, I couldnt read the tag on the axle, and didnt get to look at the front. Selec-trac was not really an AWD system, but more of a shift on the fly... meaning you just flipped a vacuum switch and it goes into 4wd.... Im not sure if this system uses a vac disconnect on the front or not. I do know that the selec-trac I had on my Grand Wagoneer didnt have a disco.... so Im hoping this XJ doest either.

That sounds right, I had an auto. I just checked, the XJ select trac used an NP239 TC using a viscous center diff for an AWD function. The little vac switch on the cosole switched this on and off. You cannot engage this on the fly but must be stopped. Some of the models had a lock out switch that had to be depressed so you couldn't do so. It worked prett good in mine but there is almost no aftermarket support for these.

Last edited:
Back