• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing the Radiator and have questions

LazersGoPEWPEW

NAXJA Forum User
So I've never done a radiator replacement before but it seemed pretty simple.

I've got new hoses, new rad, new clamps, and a bottle of anti-freeze and a new radiator cap. Am I missing anything else?

Is a bottle of antifreeze the only thing I'll need?

Get a gal of distilled water. Also some "Water Wetter" if you have overheating problems.
Some wire ties to replace the ones you cut.
Be careful of the shroud around the clutch fan--they break easily.

Wayne

What do I need to do with the distilled water? Pour it in with the green juice?

I just got some pretty standard coolant. Beats me if it needs to be mixed.

It will say 50/50 or "Premixed" on the bottle if it is. If not, you'll need to mix it yourself. That's where the distilled water comes in.

Your profile doesn't say Auto or Manual. If auto, you may need a disconnect tool for the trans cooler line at the bottom of the rad.

Yea I have an automatic. So if I just go buy premixed I'll only need one bottle.

I'll be taking it to the base shop so I'd assume they'd have the tool I need.

Also how long should this repair take if things go relatively smoothly. I'm also going to pop in my new headlight harness and housings once the rad is out.

If you buy pre-mixed, go ahead and get at least 2 gallons. I did a radiator replacement on my XJ last year, took a couple of hours start to finish. The tool to disco the transmission line is not expensive, and is useful for the future. Good Luck!

If you're going to pull everything, might as well do the thermostat too. And yes, you will most likely need two gallons if you go the pre-mix route.

I'd flush the system with some cleaner first. You can buy it at any parts store or wally world. Even though you're replacing the radiator, junk can still build up in the engine.

X2 on the thermostat, stock 195F temp. Drill a tiny hole in the top of the flange for air to pass through, if it doesn't already have one. Buy TWO tstat housing gaskets, they're cheap, and you'll probably mess one up. And put some RTV or gasket dressing or something on it to help it seal.

X2 on the water wetter or equivalent, that stuff is amazing.

I buy the cheap green stuff and mix my own in a 5 gallon bucket. Use only distilled water.

Sounds like you already got new upper and lower radiator hoses. Might as well replace your heater hoses while you're at it.

Any concerns about your water pump?

It's also easier to change the serpentine belt with all that junk out of the way.

OH yeah a nice big funnel is a must-have.

If you cut a bit of heater hose and shove it on the end of the funnel you can get it to stick in the radiator neck so you don't have to hold it and it doesn't flop around.

What type of cleaner. No I don't forsee any issues with the water pump. What thermostat are you guys talking about?

I'm pretty new to this type of repair.

Also where is the hole drilled. What flange?

Also what do the heater hoses look like. I also have to have my A/C repaired sometime next week. Would it be better to wait til after they do that to do this?

Last edited:
Read the label on your coolant - if it's premixed with water (it will say so,) you won't need to add any. If it's not, cut it about 1:1 with water that has either been distilled or reverse osmosis filtered (the R/O process takes less energy, and has roughly the same net effect.) Never use tap water in the cooling system or in the battery!

If you can find Water Wetter, get a bottle and you'll dump it in with your coolant. It's a "surfactant," and will reduce surface tension of the coolant (making for more intimate contact between the casting and the coolant, and between the radiator surface and the coolant; and therefore more effective heat transfer. I would not recommend this if I didn't use it myself, and I've been using it in every vehicle I've owned for a number of years...)

It is advised that you change your thermostat as well. Conventional thermostats are considered 'failed' after a single overheat episode (240* or higher,) and most people don't change their radiators on a whim.

Before you install the new thermostat, put it on your workbench. Get out your drill motor, chuck up a 1/8" or so drill bit, and drill two holes in the flange. They need to be 180* apart, and fairly close to the poppet valve (so inward on the flange, not toward the outside edge.) Install with one hole at 12:00 and the other at 6:00 - this makes your system able to purge air from behind the thermostat on its own.

Do this whether you have the "closed" (1990-earlier) or "open" (1991-up) system. If it's "closed," burping the air from it manually is a pain. If it's open, it just burps itself that much faster. Either way, if you get a compression leak into the water jacket, the compressed gas can escape from behind the thermostat and escape the system entirely.

Some other helpful little things you can do?

- Replace the hardware that holds the top of the mechanical fan shroud and the top of the electric fan assembly. The OEM stuff is some whacked ISO size (M3?) - you can usually find 1/4"-20 clip nuts and 1/4"-20 thumbscrews at your local harware store. You may have to enlarge the holes in the plastic slightly to pass the 1/4" screws, but you now won't need to find your 6m/m wrench, and can source new hardware easily (just get a few more 1/4"-20 thumbscrews. I use 1/4"-20x1".) Every time I have to remove the fan on an XJ that I'm servicing for the first time, I check to see if I can replace the hardware out of my hardware box. If I have the stuff, it goes in. Since I usually end up servicing that vehicle a good deal as it goes down the road (even if it's not mine...) I've just saved myself plenty of time in digging for that 6m/m socket I can never find, and making sure I don't lose those screws! I've not lost a clip nut yet, but I really don't want to lose one of the OEM ones. The 1/4"-20 ones I keep around anyhow.

- A bit of light silicone lubricant smeared inside the last 1/4" or so of the hoses will help them go on, help them, seal, and help them come off nexxt time. Don't use petroleum jelly - it isn't silicone lubricant, and is mildly antagonistic to the elastomer used to make "rubber" hoses. Silicone lubricant should be findable at your local hardware store - if you can't find it, use white lithium grease (it's based on a lithium soap, and not a petroleum product. Therefore, not antagonistic. I've used both.)

- If you can't get your old hoses off, you can slit them lengthwise with a new blade and push them sidewise (so the cut gets stretched,) that usually works neatly. Don't push so hard you score the nipple - it's either stamped brass (radiator) or aluminum (water pump/thermostat housing.) Why buy trouble when you get plenty for free?

- If it hasn't already been done for you, replace those OEM "spring wire" clamps with proper worm drive clamps. Tighten the clamp until the hose material just comes level with the drive grooves in the band, or the band just starts to dig into the hose. Check in 2-3 days for leakage, tighten PRN. If it's just a drip, usually 1/4 to 1/2-turn will do. No point in getting stupid - you want to seal the hose, not cut it.

- While you've got the radiator out, put a stream nozzle on your hose and blast out the aircon condenser fins from the engine side. Get the crud out - it makes the system more efficient.

That's all I can think of for the moment. You typically need 2-3 gallons of coolant for the radiator job (you can find the actual system capacity in the Tech section of my site.)

COOLANT DISPOSAL: There are usually a couple of methods available to you -

1) Take it to a radiator service shop. They'll usually take it for free - they've got a truck that comes around to filter the stuff, mix in a new additive package, and it gets put in bulk drums. Recycled on-site, it becomes their new supply.

2) Check with your local water company. In many cities, you're allowed to dump a certain amount of quite a few fluids you don't expect down the drain over the course of a month. For instance, SJWC sez a gallon of coolant a month is acceptable (although they don't advertise the fact.) They just want to limit it so you don't overload the purification system (although Autoland, last I checked, is still taking the stuff. They're up on De La Cruz, near the airport. I've been able to take in 5-10 gallons at a whack there, and they've taken it for free.) I only use the drain if I'm doing a "small" job - like replacing a thermostat (I only lose a few pints) or changing a RENIX coolant tank (pinch off the hoses, and you only lose about a quart in the tank proper.)

Read the label on your coolant - if it's premixed with water (it will say so,) you won't need to add any. If it's not, cut it about 1:1 with water that has either been distilled or reverse osmosis filtered (the R/O process takes less energy, and has roughly the same net effect.) Never use tap water in the cooling system or in the battery!

If you can find Water Wetter, get a bottle and you'll dump it in with your coolant. It's a "surfactant," and will reduce surface tension of the coolant (making for more intimate contact between the casting and the coolant, and between the radiator surface and the coolant; and therefore more effective heat transfer. I would not recommend this if I didn't use it myself, and I've been using it in every vehicle I've owned for a number of years...)

It is advised that you change your thermostat as well. Conventional thermostats are considered 'failed' after a single overheat episode (240* or higher,) and most people don't change their radiators on a whim.

Before you install the new thermostat, put it on your workbench. Get out your drill motor, chuck up a 1/8" or so drill bit, and drill two holes in the flange. They need to be 180* apart, and fairly close to the poppet valve (so inward on the flange, not toward the outside edge.) Install with one hole at 12:00 and the other at 6:00 - this makes your system able to purge air from behind the thermostat on its own.

Do this whether you have the "closed" (1990-earlier) or "open" (1991-up) system. If it's "closed," burping the air from it manually is a pain. If it's open, it just burps itself that much faster. Either way, if you get a compression leak into the water jacket, the compressed gas can escape from behind the thermostat and escape the system entirely.

Some other helpful little things you can do?

- Replace the hardware that holds the top of the mechanical fan shroud and the top of the electric fan assembly. The OEM stuff is some whacked ISO size (M3?) - you can usually find 1/4"-20 clip nuts and 1/4"-20 thumbscrews at your local harware store. You may have to enlarge the holes in the plastic slightly to pass the 1/4" screws, but you now won't need to find your 6m/m wrench, and can source new hardware easily (just get a few more 1/4"-20 thumbscrews. I use 1/4"-20x1".) Every time I have to remove the fan on an XJ that I'm servicing for the first time, I check to see if I can replace the hardware out of my hardware box. If I have the stuff, it goes in. Since I usually end up servicing that vehicle a good deal as it goes down the road (even if it's not mine...) I've just saved myself plenty of time in digging for that 6m/m socket I can never find, and making sure I don't lose those screws! I've not lost a clip nut yet, but I really don't want to lose one of the OEM ones. The 1/4"-20 ones I keep around anyhow.

- A bit of light silicone lubricant smeared inside the last 1/4" or so of the hoses will help them go on, help them, seal, and help them come off nexxt time. Don't use petroleum jelly - it isn't silicone lubricant, and is mildly antagonistic to the elastomer used to make "rubber" hoses. Silicone lubricant should be findable at your local hardware store - if you can't find it, use white lithium grease (it's based on a lithium soap, and not a petroleum product. Therefore, not antagonistic. I've used both.)

- If you can't get your old hoses off, you can slit them lengthwise with a new blade and push them sidewise (so the cut gets stretched,) that usually works neatly. Don't push so hard you score the nipple - it's either stamped brass (radiator) or aluminum (water pump/thermostat housing.) Why buy trouble when you get plenty for free?

- If it hasn't already been done for you, replace those OEM "spring wire" clamps with proper worm drive clamps. Tighten the clamp until the hose material just comes level with the drive grooves in the band, or the band just starts to dig into the hose. Check in 2-3 days for leakage, tighten PRN. If it's just a drip, usually 1/4 to 1/2-turn will do. No point in getting stupid - you want to seal the hose, not cut it.

- While you've got the radiator out, put a stream nozzle on your hose and blast out the aircon condenser fins from the engine side. Get the crud out - it makes the system more efficient.

That's all I can think of for the moment. You typically need 2-3 gallons of coolant for the radiator job (you can find the actual system capacity in the Tech section of my site.)

COOLANT DISPOSAL: There are usually a couple of methods available to you -

1) Take it to a radiator service shop. They'll usually take it for free - they've got a truck that comes around to filter the stuff, mix in a new additive package, and it gets put in bulk drums. Recycled on-site, it becomes their new supply.

2) Check with your local water company. In many cities, you're allowed to dump a certain amount of quite a few fluids you don't expect down the drain over the course of a month. For instance, SJWC sez a gallon of coolant a month is acceptable (although they don't advertise the fact.) They just want to limit it so you don't overload the purification system (although Autoland, last I checked, is still taking the stuff. They're up on De La Cruz, near the airport. I've been able to take in 5-10 gallons at a whack there, and they've taken it for free.) I only use the drain if I'm doing a "small" job - like replacing a thermostat (I only lose a few pints) or changing a RENIX coolant tank (pinch off the hoses, and you only lose about a quart in the tank proper.)

4650278748_b5a1114f97.jpg

So 12 and 6 oclock on this picture is where I drill the holes?

4650278748_b5a1114f97.jpg

So 12 and 6 oclock on this picture is where I drill the holes?

Sure!

At least, 12:00 and 6:00 on that picture are where they should end up. You can drill them anywhere on the flange, so long as they are A) 180* apart, and B) won't get blocked by the gasket or the seat when it's installed. I usually drill them about midway across the flange.

Never thought about replacing those darned clip nuts and wacky fasteners... they're an 8mm head on mine at least, so I have a nutdriver that fits them well from my quicklube greasemonkey days (8mm and 10mm were required equipment.) I'm gonna have to replace with 1/4-20 or #12 hardware next time I mess around with them...

Also, Valvoline (and probably other quicklubes) will take coolant as well. So do all my local auto parts chains.

Plan on that blasted lower tranny cooler line being impossible to get off... mine have been anyways. I cut the rubber line and use a few fuel injection hose clamps (full circle) to clamp it onto the barb on the radiator.

Well I got it drilled. Didn't get the holes exactly where I wanted them but they aren't blocked and they are 180 across so whatever. Tuesday is when I'm dropping this thing in. Went and looked at my headlights yesterday and figured I'd just pull those when the radiator is out to redo the harness although I don't really understand how the harness works.

I'm going to go against the grain a bit here. Drop $10 on the quick disconnect tool- no need to cut out the connection if yours isn't already a wreck (on an 01 southern car, I'd think it would be in good shape. My 97 has lived in the Midwest for 13 years, and popped right off. I just threw a new Oring on it and put it back on the new rad). No leaks or issues yet, and I've probably got 10 or 15K on it since the new rad went in.

I don't see that you've listed which Tstat you used, but I would recommend the Stant Superstat over the basic Tstat. I haven't drilled any of mine, and it seems to burp quickly and without trouble, although at this point, the only original parts of the cooling system are the heater and overflow hoses.

Headlight harness is easy. There are a few write-ups floating around if you aren't terribly confident about it. If you got the ebay/eAutoworks/BOR, there are several on just that harness. They all work on the same principle- instead of powering the lights with the stock wiring, you use the stock wiring as a trigger for the relays, which power the headlights directly to the battery's positive terminal, and a chassis ground.

Last edited:
Back