• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any electricians? light wiring help

HuntMarsh

NAXJA Forum User
previously, i had two off-road lights on my lightbar up top of my XJ working fine, i just added 2 more tonight and am a little confused as to why theyre not working correctly. i have the two center lights hooked up to one switch, and the outside two hooked up to another. when i flip on either switch, all 4 lights come on really dim. with both switches in the "on" position, all the lights shut off. i'm assuming that this is because i'm using a common ground between all 4 lights? i drew up a small diagram so show how i'm currently set up. red lines are hot wires, black are grounds. tomorrow, i plan to separate my grounds and test that. anybody have any knowledge to offer me here? will separating my grounds work, anything else i should do? (additional fuses etc).

thanks guys,
hunter

lights.png

are you 100% that is how they are wired? if they are dim.. would you say 1/2 power? it would seam like you might have the second set in series if they are dim... do you have a Volt Meter to check what voltage you are getting at the lights or at the switch?

You gave a GND at the switch... is that because they are lighted/LED switches?

Try and see what your resistance is from the GND on the battery to the Location on the light bar.

Fuses do not usually do not have any results that you are experiencing. They will just pop if they are not big enough.

The common ground should be fine as long as its a GOOD ground.

Frank is 100 percent correct! use a relay! most likley the switch you are using i not even rated for the power those lites use! A relay is a few bucks and worth it! (and they make wiring much cleaner imo.)

also if you are grounding to the light bar make sure it is a suficient ground1 if not run a ground wire back to the cab somewhere.

X2 on the relays, but you also have the classic symptoms of a bad ground. You need to reestablish it with some wire to the body or battery.

If you are grounding to the lightbar, make sure the lightbar is attatched to the body somehow and is a good ground source. If its like the factory crossbars, I would NOT use them as grounds. Use the rail that runs the length of the roof instead. Understand what i mean?

Like Frank Z said, you need relays. I bet the switches were getting nice and hot with that load on them. In my experience, most switches you can get for automotive use cannot handle the rated current on a constant basis. Relays will also prevent you from having to run a bunch of large wires in and out of the cabin.

Xwhatever, relays, you probably need to ground better as well. I would also make sure you are using wire no thinner than 12 or 10 gauge and all connections are solidly crimped and/or soldered.

Back