• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no check engine light..yes theres a problem

89RockHeep

NAXJA Forum User
ok posting for a friend, 89 4wd 4.0 auto, the check engine light wont turn on at start up, causing him to fail smog...i searched.where should we start? what controls the light to turn on during start up?

Maybe I'm wrong, but don't Renix ('87-'90) XJs not have check engine lights? I'm pretty sure my '90 didn't have one.

I used to think that, and heck, most of the RENIX gurus here have said that, but I saw one in the schematic for the instrument panel wiring on an 88 while I was looking through one of my FSMs today. So I have no idea who to believe anymore :dunno:

well now that i get into mine, the light doesnt turn on when i start it, can i get some comparisons please? go start up your trucks and see if the light is on at start, next to the seatbelt light

Ok folks, there is an "Engine Maintenance" light on the Renix that is lit up only by the HEGO timer under the dash--a one-time only use device that simply indicates that it is time to change the o2 sensor. Tell the Friggin Idiot at the test center to check his FACTS.

The timer expires after 82.5K miles, most simply unplug it and don't waste $50 or so replacing the stupid thing.

Ready for a real freakin laugh--my 90 owner's manual specifically states that the Engine Maintenance light does not appear in CA vehicles!

Tell the inspector to learn his job or take it to a referee, and then report the idiot to his supervisor and make a real stink about it.

NOTE: damn I despise two-bit Napoleans with their heads up their backsides!

I concur, no CEL on a RENIX and I trashed the emissions maintenance timer on my 90' 15 years ago when it still belonged to my dad.

That inspector is a tool who needs to know what he is talking about before his mouth opens.

X3+1.

There is no CEL, there is no socket or wiring for a CEL behind this panel. the only other lights are these, a seat belt light, a shift point arrow (on my 5 speed, not on the Automatic) and the Emissions "timer" light. Both my rigs are set up for CA emissions, both have the timer light...but that's it!
006-1.jpg

Back