• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coolant flush and fill

boogie94xj

NAXJA Forum User
Well the other day I went to replace my t-stat and found that my coolant had all manner of crap in it. I followed the manual up to the point where it said pull the plug in the side of the block. Does anyone know the specific tool required to get this plug out or is it one of those pressure fit deals. The plug looks like it has a square hole in it for a ratchet but the 3/8" is to big and the 1/4" way to small. TIA

My Peugot trans had a plug like that too. I used a piece of 5/16 square stock and a vise grip.

Try that

what you need to pull that plug for anyway? Are you just doing a cooling system flush? cuz i've done that with only disconnecting hoses. Not pulling any plugs.

How I do it

The best flush is to install the prestone back flush kit in the heater hose.
Drain the system of as much anti-freeze as you can and get the rest out with the backflush kit.
You will need:
Two gallons of Mopar coolant
Two gallons of distilled water
7 hour prestone super flush
Tstat
Pressure cap
Refill with water and add the prestone 7 hour flush, go for a long drive, take a trip down to point pleseant NJ and get some clams on the boardwalk :D then drive home or take a ride out to the HD plant in York and take a tour :D :D
Me, I used to drive up to syracuse from where I live in the poconos and that was 7 1/2 hours round trip.

Flush the cleaner out using the backflush kit. Drain the coolant from the drain plug on the radiator, behind the grill on the passenger side or pull the lower hose, thats easier. Remove the overflow bottle and clean it out good. I use either formula 409 or fantastic, whatevers handy. Put the bottle back in and fill it to the cold mark with 50/50 mix.
Replace your thermostat and dump in a gallon of Mopar 100% coolant and a gallon of distilled water. Take another gallon of pure antifreeze and dump half it into the jug you just emptied and refill both half full jugs with distilled water, you now have two 50/50 mix gallons.
Start the engine up and let it run. Start pouring in the 50/50 mix till it reaches the lip on the filler bung. Once the thermostat opens and you dump in cold mix coolant the thermostat will shut, be patient. Keep the coolant in the filler neck visible, you will see it will look like fizzy green soda, thats air in the system, you need to get that all out so just let it run and each time the thermostat opens pour in more coolant. Keep that up till all the bubbles are out of the filller neck. Once you are reaonably sure you have all the air out blip the motor a few times and quickly pour in the mix and put the pressure cap back on. From then on any air should come out the normal way, thru the pressure cap and overflow. To do that last part it is very handy to have a second set of hands to either blip the throttle, get the cap on or pour the coolant in that last time.

Back