• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone near

xjrocker666

NAXJA Forum User
lake Elizabeth or sylmar that could help me out with some problems ill even give you some cash to help me out i just dont want to start pulling stuff that might not be the problem thanks

I'm somewhat near Sylmar (in Simi Valley right now)... whats going on?

Might not be able to help tonight but I'm free tomorrow.

that will work i just need help figuring out whats wrong with my truck i think its the drive shaft but not completely sure and since i havent really had that much experiencing working on a jeep or just a truck that much i dont want to start taking off things that i wasnt a hundred percent sure i know what i was doing

when im driving i hear a knocking kinda it sounds like its hitting something underneath (in a way) it happens when i turn a sharp corner not going fast and when im climbing a steep hill going kinda slow....it sounds like it comes from underneath me and when it the noise happens i can feel it but its not the tranny or the motor its feels more like the drive shaft but idk

i dont know ill check first thing in the morning i was laying underneath it today looking to see if i saw any rubbing ang i didnt really see anything everything looks fine my buddy chris said i might need to get it balanced but i didnt know you could do that???

Well here's my two cents...

I doubt it's an unbalanced shaft, as that would cause a noticeable vibration while driving at high speeds...not a knocking at slow speeds (ask me why I drive around without a front drive shaft =D).

What strikes me as most probable for knocking during highway driving, sharp turns, and slow hill climbs is the trackbar. Make sure it's hella tight on both mounting points.

Also, is the Jeep lifted at all? maybe I missed it and I'm too lazy to go back and reread. But if you're lifted on a stock trackbar it can move the axle over and cause the spring to rub against the unibody which creates a knocking/creaking sound.

That's gonna create a nasty vibration as well. Am I missing somewhere that he gets vibes at 55 and higher or something to that effect??? Otherwise, any DS issue will result in vibrations, whether it's bent, out of balance, bad CV, bad U-joint, loose mounting bolts, etc. Once that bad boy stars spinning at a few thousand RPMs, you're gonna know. =)

Easiest fix is remove the front DS and see if it goes away. If it does, now you can try and find the issue...if it doesn't, well, look somewhere else. I know he didn't want to start pulling parts off, but it's only 8 bolts and will limit the scope of your issues.

Hmm, one more question...does it happen when you're steady on the gas, or just when accelerating/decelerating? Could be too much play in the R&P and you're hearing the gears smack...or a loose chain in the Tcase.

the noise only happens when im accelerating slow hill climp and turns at low speeds it doesnt happen when im goin faster then 30mph thats whats confusing

and no im not lifted pretty much stock

and i dont get vibrations i just hear the knocking

the 18 mm bolts on my trac bar drop down bracket are always coming loose and cause a loud snap noise (sounds like its under my feet on the driver side )when im turning or articulating at all. Check those!!!!!

If its mostly under load I would also check the flex plate bolts, the trans and motor mounts, or possibly rod bearings.

If you're looking at the front of your Jeep, you should see two bars going from the top drivers side, to the axle passenger side. One bar attaches to the frame on one side and the axle tube on the other, that's the trackbar. The other diagonal tube attaches to the pitman (steering) arm on one side and the steering knuckle, right by the tire, on the other side, that's the draglink to adjust steering wheel position...so if your steering wheel doesn't sit perfectly straight when driving a straight line, adjusting that bar can resolve it.

Make sense, or have I drank too much already?

Back