• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wheel drive hard to disengage

mudrat

NAXJA Forum User
i just bought a 94 country with the 231 and aw-4. i went on a gravel road to test out the 4 wd and everything engaged fine although when i went to disengage it took several attemps and alot of rocking and strong arming th elever to get out of both 4 low and 4 hi. i tried adjusting the linkage and lubricating all the move points and this still did not help. the jeep has low miles(80000) and i know the previous owner who babied this thing and only used the tc if needed. could this be signs of a bent shift fork?

Probably not.

4H Position:
To engage, shift the transfer case from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed.

4L Position:
To engage, slow to 2-3 MPH shift the transmission to neutral, then shift the transfer case lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L.

Note that in both ranges the vehicle is moving, give that a try next time.

Move shifter to 2wd.
Shift tranny to reverse.
Floor it for 15-20 feet.
Shift to drive.
Enjoy.

Use it more often. Also do not have any pressure on the vehicle--coast-no gas or brake.
You may need to lubricate the linkage if the lever does not move freely.

Wayne

Interesting - I've always come to a stop to do it. Is that bad?

No, some can do it, others are have trouble. I have a modified linkage arrangement and can shift while not moving without problems. Moving seems to make the engagement/disengagement easier with some transfer cases.

Could also be an issue with the shift fork pads.

Move shifter to 2wd.
Shift tranny to reverse.
Floor it for 15-20 feet.
Shift to drive.
Enjoy.

I usually give it a little gas and back up slowly. I also usually shift tranny into neutral, then shift tcase into 2wd, then reverse a few feet. Usually does the trick.

My shifter is kind of stiff, I just push it harder.

Maybe this will help.

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee with part time 4WD (231 case). When new, it would go in and out of 4wd properly as stated in the owners manual. Some years later, the transfer case refused to come out of 4wd unless I put the lever in 2wd, put the thing in reverse, and backed up five feet. This would not be a problem off-road, but it is a problem driving in the winter on roads which are partly snow pack followed by dry patches. I prefer not to back up on the Interstate. I also discovered that it will come out of 4WD EVERY TIME if I accelerate BRISKLY while simultaneously shoving the lever from 4WD to 2WD.

Previously, I had tried adjusting the linkage according to the instructions in the factory shop manual with no good results (the factory shop manual says put the lever into 4L position (making sure the transfer case is fully engaged in the 4L position) and tighten the trunion lock nut). Several fluid changes had no effect on the problem.

I used to drive 4wd trucks from time to time and you had to manually lock the hubs at the wheels, then put the lever into 4wd. When you wanted 2wd again you had to unlock the hubs, put the lever in 2wd and then back up to unlock the hubs. With my Jeep the hubs are always locked so it doesn't seem to be a problem in the hubs. It must be in the transfer case.

To summarize, I have found two ways to work around the problem.

1. put it in 2WD, shift into reverse, and back up five feet; or
2. briskly accelerate while simultaneously pushing the lever from 4WD to 2WD.

You don't HAVE to unlock the hubs on a truck to go into 2wd. They're just there to save gas, reduce wear on the front drive train, and make XJ owners jealous.

You don't HAVE to unlock the hubs on a truck to go into 2wd. They're just there to save gas, reduce wear on the front drive train, and make XJ owners jealous.

:rof::rof: True for some, the Psychs call it Hub Envy, it can be cured for about $1000 to $1500.

Back