• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to tell what Axle I have

XJiggy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1998 Jeep cherokee.

My front axle is defiently a dana and has 30-7AF stamped on it so I assume that it is a dana 30.

My rear axle has no dana markings on it but it does have the crysler stamp on it.
I dont know if the axle was replaced at any time so i guess it is possible that I have the crysler rear axle.

How would I be shure?

you're front is a 30, the 30 is the only axle they ever put in the front, the 35 is only in the back

jeepdiferentialssl3.jpg

compare your axle to that above. if you have ABS, its ALWAYS a D35. if not then a 8.25

XJiggy said:
what about my trans case?

will it be stamped on there somewhere or will i have to look at the vin? how do i tell?

on the t case, there will be a round tag on the cover. it is usualy covered in grease and dirt so you may have to look for it a little. it will somewhere say 231J or 242J.

or you could look at your 4wd shifter. if it reads from top to bottom- 2Hi, 4Hi, N, 4Lo, then its the 231 TC.

hth
stewie

Back