• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slight rear end noise after 2" BB

Brad Klammer

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed a RE add-a-leaf bb in my cousins 94xj (231). We are getting a slight grinding noise when breaking and this is the only time the noise occurs. It sounds like its coming from the rear axle and it almost sounds like a rotational noise that is deep and I guess could be considered a vibration. We tightened u-bolts to 80lbs and all other bolts are ok.

Now I've read alot about lift vibes but this is a 2" lift and it's also a pre-98 so they usually have less issues with the vibes no?

Next step would be a t-case drop but I really cant see that being necessary on 2"...

Is it possible to over-tighten u-bolts and would that cause an issue?

If the axle pinion u-joint is old, you probably need to replace it. Check the slip yoke for excessive play.

The AAL may have changed your pinion angle.

U-bolt torque spec is only like 52 ft lbs

I over tightened mine the first time I did it and didn't hurt anything. Do you have a big rust groove on the inside of your drums?

Last edited:
anti sieze? I'm not sure where you plan to use this. A transfer case drop would probably cure your problem if it's driveline vibes but "grinding noise when breaking" sounds more like you knocked some rust free inside the drum or something.

i highly doubt it has anything to do with pinion angle especially if its only when braking. id say take the wheels off and look in the drums to see if anything is rubbing

Last edited:
anti sieze? I'm not sure where you plan to use this. A transfer case drop would probably cure your problem if it's driveline vibes but "grinding noise when breaking" sounds more like you knocked some rust free inside the drum or something.

Some people grease their splines with permatex anti-sieze if they have a rear end clunk, which my cousins jeep did. If your u-joints are tight and you have a clunk, try it out it worked for my cousin and many others on this form.

I should also note, the AAL (full length) was added to a pack off a 99XJ with low kms. The Jeep in question is a 94 that had SEVERLY sagged packs that would hit the bump stops on most bumps with cargo in the rear. So although the lift may only be 2" higher than a stock vehicle, it's more like 4" higher than where it was.

Have had 4.5"+ lifts on a 90 and 95 xj without a tcase drop or SYE. As long as it's the older style tcase you get away without vibes. All we had to do was get a longer driveshaft. I think the noise is coincidence with your AAl install. Xwhat ever i checking inside your drums. Also any chance the leafs fanned out a bit and rub on your tires or something?

No, everything looks good with the pack. I just dont see how the brakes would be fine before but now would have an issue? I'll look at them for sure but I'm thinking the noise is coming from somewhere else. Yes he has the 231 and a 8.25.

Back