• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no no power to radio, cig lighter and no dash lights

xjskaguy

NAXJA Forum User
1989 4.0

noticed the no power to radio when replace cd player, there is no power to either the 12v or the consistent (memory wire) So i ran a temp wire to the cd player from my finch relay box. however while riding with the center console out I put on the Ebrake and some how the wire made its way in the ebarke and was pinched casusing a spark. It was after that event that the next time i drove the cherokee i realized that the dash lights don't work. Now i just put something into the cig light to test it and no power to it either.

what works

the headlights
parking lights
power trans switch
brake lights
license plate light

any help or suggestions?

Test your fuses, post back what you find.

possible problems could be a bad ignition switch at the base of the steering column or bad headlight switch. did you check for power through the fuses or just a visual check of the fuses.

are you using a mutlimeter(voltage and continuity) to test any of the curcuits? without testing the curcuits, its tough to find the source of the problem. could be a broken wire in the fuse block or a defective part(ignition switch, headlight switch).

my 89 had electrical nightmares from the manual transmission master cylinder leaking hydraulic fluid on the fuse block, which ate/corroded all the elctrical connections to the fuses.

ok don't know what happen but when I was messing with the cig power wire i heard a relay shut off and back on. now the dash light work but still no power to radio harness or to cig light/outlet.

You have pulled something loose or fried something causing an open in the circuit. Get a 12 volt test light and work from the fuse of each circuit along the harness until the power disappears--you are right at the problem.

possible problems could be a bad ignition switch at the base of the steering column or bad headlight switch. did you check for power through the fuses or just a visual check of the fuses.

are you using a mutlimeter(voltage and continuity) to test any of the curcuits? without testing the curcuits, its tough to find the source of the problem. could be a broken wire in the fuse block or a defective part(ignition switch, headlight switch).

my 89 had electrical nightmares from the manual transmission master cylinder leaking hydraulic fluid on the fuse block, which ate/corroded all the elctrical connections to the fuses.
my 89 did the same thing very easy to change the swutch not the key switch but the switch that below it on the colum took me about 15mins
I'm willing to bet thats your problemthey start to melt after a while, i cahnged mine a year ago and no problem
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...me=Ignition+Switch&searchText=ignation+switch

Last edited:
Back