• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help finding 12" travel shocks

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently running a full traction 6" long arm kit. I tossed on some Rancho 5000s up front a couple years back when I needed new shocks. I wanted to buy something nicer but I was broke at the time. My current front shocks are 16" collapsed and 26" extended. They are too short. My suspension is bottoming the shock out before being fully flexed. I am trying to find someone who makes a 16" collapsed to 28" extended shock. All I have found is the Bilstein 5150 that goes 16.5-28". Part #BF5-A197-HO. Is the 5150 a good shock? The reviews on it are all over the place. If the 5150 isn't good then what is a good shock to go with for Rock Crawling? Also, which companies make shocks in my needed size?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

i love my 5150s.

the shock you listed has the dual shock valving which you dont want.

Do you know if bilstein makes a 5150 with the proper valving that is 16"-28" in lenght?

they can be used for racing, but if you get them with the softer valving i dont see why they would be bad for crawling or DD'ing at all. and they are rebuildable unlike the 5150.

You need some limit straps anyway!

I already have the limit straps but I don't want to install them until I have the proper lenght shocks. Right now my shocks are my limit straps and that is no good.

What about F-O-A? I just got there 2.5 coilovers and I was really impressed. They're a little more than the 5150's but IMO a much better shock.

f-o-a.com

The short body 7100's are your best option. A good shock is a good shock, it will work for going fast or crawling, just get the valving that you want. Once you have a good shock you'll enjoy going faster to the trail anyway. We've found that shock valving doesn't matter much for crawling, the slow shaft speed doesn't let the shock do much anyway, and valving doesn't mean much at the slow crawling speeds. A good shock does make a difference on the access roads getting to and from the trail. The spring rate means much more for crawling than the shock valving, so you can run a softer spring than a guy would for going fast, but still have shock valving that would be good for going fast to help control things. Many of us here on NAXJA have run 12" 7100 short bodies on the front with 360/80 valving. If you really won't go fast, then try the 275/78 valving, which is still a little stiffer and better in front than the 255/70 valving in the 5150's.

I am currently running a full traction 6" long arm kit. I tossed on some Rancho 5000s up front a couple years back when I needed new shocks. I wanted to buy something nicer but I was broke at the time. My current front shocks are 16" collapsed and 26" extended. They are too short. My suspension is bottoming the shock out before being fully flexed. I am trying to find someone who makes a 16" collapsed to 28" extended shock. All I have found is the Bilstein 5150 that goes 16.5-28". Part #BF5-A197-HO. Is the 5150 a good shock? The reviews on it are all over the place. If the 5150 isn't good then what is a good shock to go with for Rock Crawling? Also, which companies make shocks in my needed size?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

If you get bar pin eliminators for upper and lower mounts, you can use a Monroe Gas Magnum #34791 which is 27.25" long. With the added length the bar pin eliminators give you, you should have a good 1/2" or more to spare. I run these shocks. They have multistage valving and are engineered to give trucks a smooth ride. They are very good on the rebound and absorb the bumps well.

You can also get the 7100s with no res to save some money.

But not the short bodies, which is how to get them in 12" length that will fit. Short bodies need the reservoir.

Back