• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

grinding when going into gear after doing RMS

DT|Ac1d

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished up my rear main seal. Now afterward i have a little bit weaker clutch pressure and issues getting into gear. I ended up having to jack the car up by the cross-member, but doubt that this would cause any issues. The master cylinder and slave cylinder are both only 9months old. I just did a bleed and am seeing the same results. My guess is that the slave went bad. Is it possible that the oil that got into the bellhousing from the bad RMS is causing issues? Or is it yet another newish part that has failed on me. Seems to be a very common issue for me. Don't know why but non-dealership parts always seem to die very fast on me with only normal street driving, no wheelin'. Weird that it occurred at the same time i was doing my RMS.

Shouldn't be anything related to the clutch from changing the RMS.

What brand of parts/what chain store?

I got the master cylinder from Autozone. Can't recall the brand, usually on oem parts like those Autozone only carriers 1 brand. The slave cylinder came from Schucks, same deal on the brand, no-name oem part.

Look, any company can buy a bad lot of parts from a distributor--it happens. It just seems that the larger chain stores are selling more and more China/India parts that FAIL, and I sure as hell wouldn't ever trust a reman part from them.

The more damage a part can do the more I am willing to pay for a quality part.

The harder it is to change a part the more I am willing to pay for a quality part.

I have the internal slave--I will always buy a brand name quality slave. I might cheap out on the clutch MC because it is easy to change, but never on the slave or the clutch components.

Thermostat--buy quality, overheating can damage the engine.

Oil and filter--buy quality, lack of proper lubrication can damage the engine.

Never cheap out on brakes--period.

That is what I live by.

I never have, nor will I ever, cheap out on parts for a customer's vehicle. If they don't want to pay for quality parts they are always welcome to go down the street to another shop.

no-name oem part.

OEM = original equipment manufacturer which implies that it was a brand name. The no-name stuff that Autozone sells is usually crappy quality. I'm with Joe. For stuff that's a pain to replace like clutches and fuel pumps, get a quality part.

Back