• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

would it help? Air compressor question!

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
I have a 20 gallon Lay-down Ingersoll-rand compressor, it puts out 7.4CFM 90psi it does the job for all of my tools, but my angle grinder seems to give it a work out the most. I have a 6gallon Campbell Airtank that i use for my OBA in the XJ, but thats down right now..

Would running an air hose from the compressor to the tank work to gain tank capacity? and would that relieve the compressor at all?

It will help you out a bit, but any extended grinding will still run it down

Its not really going to help much,those type of tools draw over 10cfm.

6 gal won't help much. If it was a 20gal or better you may get a longer run time but it sounds like your heads aren't quick enough recovery for the grinder. I would just take your time and not overwork your compressor as most heads of store bought compressors are only 30-40% duty cycle meaning it should run under that to not wear out. Too bad you live to far away I would give you a dental compressor with a 40 gallon tank.

One option add a regulator at the end of all your tanks. Set your pressure as high as possible at your compressor, say 125 psi, then at the end of all your air storage set your regulator for 85 psi. Not a miracle cure but will gain a little bit more air storage since your compressing more air then you are using. Problem is as you pump higher pressure you lose cfm.

How low of pressure can you run the grinder?

Otherwise buy an electric grinder. For every 1hp of electric power you make it takes 7 to 8 hp of an air compressor to match it.

As mentioned before, don't overstress your compressor, the duty cycle of these compressors don't handle it so well.

I found a 25 gal. compressor on craigslist with a blown motor, took it apart and connected it to my already 25gal. I noticed a difference, not major but for $25 I cant complain.

Back