• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A\C system flush help

ariff390

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
Well I just picked up my 2001 XJ from the shop and the compressor is bad. It is leaking from the pressure relief valve and front by the clutch. They quoted me 800 bucks to fix it including parts and labor. Well I politely declined. I had them evacuate the system for me and I'll replace the compressor, Dryer, and orifice tube myself with a AC kit from EBay for 200 bucks. My mechanic was really cool and told me what to do. He said he'll even let me borrow his quick disconnect tool for the lines when I need to. He recommended flushing the system once the dryer, orifice tube and compressor were removed. So my question is how to properly do this. Several searches here and on the net did not help much. So can anyone help me get these old worn parts off, system flushed and new stuff installed? I figure once I have all the parts replaced I'll take the truck back down to my mechanic and have him vacuum the system and re charge it for me. Thanks for any assistance.. A\C weather is coming up real quick
:yap:

Completely disassemble the system get some Hecat safe flush or similar item I ordered mine from ackits.com. Get a sprayer bottle fill it with the flush. Only doing one part at a time spray the fluid in and blow it out with dry compressed air. If you use regular compressed air without some sort of desiccant filter you will be adding moisture to the system which is bad. You can only flush the lines and the evaporator. The compressor, condenser, and orifice tube cannot be flushed. Remember to replace all the o-rings while you’re at it and use the proper amount of oil. My post may help you some http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1005983

The 2001 has a parallel flow condenser with very small holes which is impossible to flush. It's better to leave it alone or replace it.

i agree 100% with MESH. However there is a never ending argument as to what flush's to use. people have had trouble even with commercial flush's leaving residue ect. Many people i have heard of use mineral spirits and when flushed with large volumes of dried air and perhaps nitrogen at the end, have had good luck. The bottom line is, when you hook everything up you want everything as clean, and definitely as dry as possible. And you need to pull a good long vacuum on the system to boil out any remaining moisture. Moisture = a/c death.

Back