• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 shift solenoid cut open PICTURE

x99j

NAXJA Forum User
well i purchased a 1997 country for 700 dollars and it was starting out in 3rd or 4th gear. i was getting codes po700 and po758(solenoid b). i sourced two used solenoids from the junk yard and my problems are fixed. this is the old solenoid i pulled out. it has and open circuit with the ohms around 62 instead of the spec of 11-15.

i can't see anything wrong but the ohmms are way high! mike

100_1383.jpg

by the way here is a pucture of the 700 dollar xj 159,000 miles. leaking water pump,filthy, needs brakes, blower motor resistor, and a shift solenoid! mike
100_1370.jpg

The big part in the middle is the most interesting in this case - I would like to see the condition of the wire once you disassemble that and unwind the wire (if it isn't sealed in epoxy like some automotive electronics are.)

My bet is that it will be discolored, burned, or worn.

now that you mention it (prompting me to look closer) the big center section does have an epoxy center with the coil winding. i am off to the work bench to try and cut it open! mike

now that you mention it (prompting me to look closer) the big center section does have an epoxy center with the coil winding. i am off to the work bench to try and cut it open! mike

I think you've been watching too much "Sliced" on History Channel. ;)

Hi guys,
I have the same Chero (looks like your), from 1 month I have the same problem but with the 4th gear and over drive.
My Xj is 4000 6L (242 engine type:S) AW4 (model 30-43LE) -1998
I run at 55Miles/h (90 km/h) at 2300 rpm :firedevil
I tried to check the trottle body cable, I adjusted it, but nothing no verdrive.
Sometimes (at cold) the tranny shift to overdrive, but 90% time no!!!
I try also to test drive without the TCU, shifting manual but no overdrive.
I don't think is the TPS...I supposed is the solenoid group.
In Italy it's very difficult to find it, can you tell me some autostore in US which can ship to italy this parts?

For XJ99, how much is cost each solenoids, there are also from aftermarket?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Alberto

i paid 10 dollars a solenoid from a junk yard. but they are 150 for all three (aftermarket).

i would ohm the overdrive solenoid out first, at the tcm harness before i would replace the solenoid. mike

i paid 10 dollars a solenoid from a junk yard. but they are 150 for all three (aftermarket).

i would ohm the overdrive solenoid out first, at the tcm harness before i would replace the solenoid. mike
Definitely. Measure from each of the solenoid drive lines at the TCM to ground, should be 11-15 ohms. If they are out of spec replace, if they are in spec, or you warm it up and it starts doing it, remeasure and they are now out of spec, you have a problem somewhere in the harness/loom or at the solenoid. Then you should measure from the same wires to ground at the connector near the transmission dipstick to eliminate the instrument panel and engine wiring harnesses as the problem. If they still measure wrong, drop the pan and measure directly at the solenoid. Replace if they are out of spec. This way you can determine if it is the wiring outside the transmission before going inside the pan, which is way more trouble than working on the wiring outside the pan.

Problem Found :sunshine:!!!
Maybe it was NSS, for the backup light and maybe for the Overdrive.
I rebuild the SSN using some paper sands and lithium grease, and everything goes ok.
During my "investigation " :confused1 under and over the XJ, I checked all the cables from the engine compartment to the AW4.
Checking the SSN connector I saw inside it that one spline of the connector was broken.
Then I did a bypass using a common electric cable and now I have again th Overdrive.

This evening I'll post a pict to show what I did.
Thanks to everybody for you support.
Alberto

Back