• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Poly Performance D30 Gussets

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop...nt-Dana-30-44-Inner-C-Gusset-Kit-p-21273.html

I stumbled onto these "new-to-me" gussets for the C's on a D30. The fitment listed is for a late model JK. Is there a difference in the C profile on the JK that would keep these from being used on a XJ D30?

FNF

Emersome cool gussets......should fit your D30 just fine.

8012-02-KIT-D-400.jpg

Too big, wait for the ones that Ballistic is coming out with soon for the TJ/J D30, at 1/2 the price.

I did shoot them an e-mail. This is the response.

I've looked into doing them for the 30's and I haven't had a great epiphany on how to do them yet, like the 44's. The problem with the 30 is there is no room on an XJ 30 to do them in that fashion. I'm not sure about other 30's at this point. They will be on the website as soon as they are complete. Thanks.

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Dave Christensen <[email protected]> wrote:

I guess poly-perfomance is it. I do give Balliatic a thumbs up for responding quickly though.

FNF

Not really. The fit is the same. There might be a little grinding involved, but nothing anyone with some simple fabrication skills could not handle.

Not really. The fit is the same. There might be a little grinding involved, but nothing anyone with some simple fabrication skills could not handle.

Response from Poly performance to the question.

Dan,

The c-gussets for the Jk will not work for the XJ Dana 30. We are going to design c-gussets for XJ and other TJ Dana axles in the future. The gussets are more difficult to make because the coil bucket and control arm mount are located very close to the inner c. I will save your information and let you know when we have these parts available for sale. Thank you for you interest and feel free to ask any other questions about our products.

Thanks,

Mark Hesser
Poly Performance Manufacturing
[email protected]
805-783-2060 ex. 300
www.polyperformance.com

Response from Poly performance to the question.

Dan,

The c-gussets for the Jk will not work for the XJ Dana 30. We are going to design c-gussets for XJ and other TJ Dana axles in the future. The gussets are more difficult to make because the coil bucket and control arm mount are located very close to the inner c. I will save your information and let you know when we have these parts available for sale. Thank you for you interest and feel free to ask any other questions about our products.

Thanks,

Mark Hesser
Poly Performance Manufacturing

A second response from Poly Performance

If you are handy with a grinder you can get them to work.
They are not gonna fit into please unless its a JK housing.

Dave Schlossberg
Poly Performance, Inc.
805-783-2060 x203 Phone
805-783-2069 Fax
www.polyperformance.com
[email protected]
805-783-2060 ex. 300

Just to save this post, because i've actually bent the housing on my D30 before, on my new D30 that I put in (I couldn't afford the upgrades just yet :( ) I put gussets from t and J

http://tandjperformance.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=9

They fit just fine and were one of the first things i did to strengthen the new axle. And before everyone starts yelling at me about driving fast or jumping my XJ, I do search and rescue calls so sometimes speed is an issue for me when getting down a trail.

Damn, that is expensive for a few little pieces of metal. Make that crap yourself with a grinder. I'll be doing just that pretty soon here to make sure I don't bend my expensive D30.

Damn, that is expensive for a few little pieces of metal. Make that crap yourself with a grinder. I'll be doing just that pretty soon here to make sure I don't bend my expensive D30.

x2, very expensive for pieces someone with a grinder and some heat could achieve

X3... they didn't even do a great job of gusseting the LCA mounts, I did better myself in a couple hours (including installation and paint) with an angle grinder and a 3" x 3' piece of 3/16 flat stock.

x2, very expensive for pieces someone with a grinder and some heat could achieve

I don't know guys. In my 60 years of life I have found that cost is more than what comes out of your pocket. How about your time, metal, supplies, etc.

But more than that, how soon do you want it done. How long will your ride be down while you are fabricating and fornicating with fit and design.

While I appreciate someones willingness and ability to fab parts, having been absorbed in custom fabrication of uber highend furniture and woodwork for most of my live, I also appreciate the time, skill, and entrepenurship that goes into developing and marketing a product.

A good portion of the cost of that product that you call so expensive comes from having a brick & mortar business, paying employees, advertising, and most of all liability insurance so if some idiot goes far beyond product limitations, he does not loose everything to some lawyer.

I'll get off my soapbox now!

Before you start chopping up someone for the cost of their product, think about what makes the price.

And, admit that you fab because you enjoy it not just because it saves you a dime.

One last thing, I get very peeved when I see a post with "take measuremets and pictures of that thing you just bought so I can build one myself". That is wrong; if not legally at least morally. If you have some "original" idea and want to share go ahead but my guess if it is really an original idea you will be looking for a way to SELL it.

FNF

Oh, definitely agreed on that.

But I spent maybe 15 bucks on the materials and still had it done in a single evening - I couldn't even get those shipped to me in that amount of time.

I blew up the mounts on my old rusty d30 on Sunday; Monday I got home from the wheeling trip and posted up asking if anyone I knew had a d30 they wanted to sell and one of my friends said he had one I could have for free but probably wouldn't want. Picked it up Tuesday evening, spent Wednesday evening cutting metal and welding it on, installed it Thursday evening, packed for the weekend Friday morning and went wheeling again that weekend. It didn't break that time!

I'm not dinging them for what makes the price, I'm saying it's cheaper to do it yourself - unless you can't weld/fab, in which case you're gonna be paying someone to weld them on and paying for precut pieces means paying the welder less money. Their product makes a lot of sense in that case.

I actually think my design is superior to theirs, in strength at least. I've seen half a dozen different people and companies do the inner C gussets and UCA mount box-in, so I don't feel I'm really ripping anything off there, it's just the way everyone does it.

EDIT: and hell yes I enjoy fab :greensmok

Last edited:
Oh, definitely agreed on that.

But I spent maybe 15 bucks on the materials and still had it done in a single evening - I couldn't even get those shipped to me in that amount of time.

I blew up the mounts on my old rusty d30 on Sunday; Monday I got home from the wheeling trip and posted up asking if anyone I knew had a d30 they wanted to sell and one of my friends said he had one I could have for free but probably wouldn't want. Picked it up Tuesday evening, spent Wednesday evening cutting metal and welding it on, installed it Thursday evening, packed for the weekend Friday morning and went wheeling again that weekend. It didn't break that time!

I'm not dinging them for what makes the price, I'm saying it's cheaper to do it yourself - unless you can't weld/fab, in which case you're gonna be paying someone to weld them on and paying for precut pieces means paying the welder less money. Their product makes a lot of sense in that case.

I actually think my design is superior to theirs, in strength at least. I've seen half a dozen different people and companies do the inner C gussets and UCA mount box-in, so I don't feel I'm really ripping anything off there, it's just the way everyone does it.

Looks like you've got your act together. I've yet to see anything that cannot be improved on (especially anything done by Detroit engineers).

IMHO when you enjoy it and have pride in how it turns out you have your priorities straight.

Back