• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To renix guys thinking of elminating their heater valve

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
On my way home from work today I was convinced my A/C was low on refrigerant.. but it wasn't making sense to me because it was cycling as normal on the hwy. When I I got home and was looking under the hood I discovered the heater valve was open . I got back in my jeep and moved the thermostat all the way hot, then back to cold, and the valve closed l like it should in the cold position. After that my A/C was back to awesome.

I've been told that the blend door isn't insulated on the renix jeeps like later models.

Moral of the story is make sure your heater valve is working.. and don't be a moron and eliminate it.

You can eliminate the heater valve but you need to create a way to bypass the coolant back to the engine and take the heater core out of the loop(a way to drain the heater core is nice to have as well)

Or never had a/c?

IIRC the heater valve (plastic POS) was removed in the HO years, so essential it does not matter really if it is there or not? I know of at least a few people that have done away with it. I believe 5-90 has done a copper tube swap from hoses and removed the valve as well, and there may be a thread?

In the renix years it does matter. Heat from the heater core will bleed through the blend door and make your A/C a lot less cool. I wasn't sure by how much until after what I experienced today.

On my way home from work today I was convinced my A/C was low on refrigerant.. but it wasn't making sense to me because it was cycling as normal on the hwy. When I I got home and was looking under the hood I discovered the heater valve was open . I got back in my jeep and moved the thermostat all the way hot, then back to cold, and the valve closed l like it should in the cold position. After that my A/C was back to awesome.

I've been told that the blend door isn't insulated on the renix jeeps like later models.

Moral of the story is make sure your heater valve is working.. and don't be a moron and eliminate it.

I don't know as I'd consider myself a "moron" (and my most recent psych eval certainly doesn't think so...)

However, my aircon has never worked, so that's not a problem for me. I'm not sure how the OEMs have done without the thing in their late-model vehicles, but I know the heater flow control valve has been slowly wandering offshage. Probably coincident with the graudal shift to the "closed" cooling system.

Had my aircon still been functional, I'd probably have shifted to a two-way valve with a control cable, and run the control cable somewhere convenient. Or, I'd have gone through the back of the Four Seasons or Everco catalogue, and found an all-metal piece that would be a workable replacement. But, I had no reason to at the time.

the a/c slash heater box internal configuration is different for the "non-heater valve" years. it is designed to keep the heat away from the a/c evaporator. the earlier boxes are not set up like that, you will lose *some cooling ability if you eliminate the valve. for people like myself, with no a/c, it probably doesn't need to be there at all; just one more thing to break.

.. and don't be a moron...

This particular moron hasn't had a heater valve for 3 years and A/C works great in 100+ degree weather. Works so well, I did it on my 88 MJ too!! Could be that your vac isn't strong enough to close the blend door completely.
Yay for morons!!
:sunshine:

Last edited:
Back