• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing Megasquirt - Need AW4 Pinout '95 XJ

88JeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
We are in the middle of wiring up Megasquirt on our '95 2wd XJ and we need to figure out the pinout of the AW4. Has anyone found this? The Chilton manual we have doesn't show it.

Thanks!

-Jeff

Invest in a Factory Service Manual. They have all the pinout information you need.

You won't get much information here, as FSM material can not be posted on this website, and any links or talks of illegal copies is not tolerated. (Which is a good thing)

Seriously...you want me to buy an $80 book for a pinout of about 16 wires? I already bought a service manual, it just doesn't have the tranny pinout. I obviously bought the wrong book...

I don't need any illegal copies. BTW do you work for a publisher?

I was hoping someone could post a quick wire by wire description that they have used before. Sharing this information is not illegal.

Seriously...you want me to buy an $80 book for a pinout of about 16 wires? I already bought a service manual, it just doesn't have the tranny pinout. I obviously bought the wrong book...

I don't need any illegal copies. BTW do you work for a publisher?

I was hoping someone could post a quick wire by wire description that they have used before. Sharing this information is not illegal.
You'll need a lot more pinouts and measurements probably. I'm quite glad I bought my FSM, but then again I didn't spend anywhere near 80 on it, more like 50. I was able to fix some nagging issues that had been pissing me off for nearly a year within a week.

You bought a haynes/chilton... so did I back when I was new to the whole jeep thing. Toss it, they're damn near worthless. They try to cover far too many years and the info ranges from mildly inaccurate to confusing to flat out wrong.

You should be able to find a pinout for the AW-4 connector in section 8W near page 80 or 90 or so, then use the wire colors and circuit designations to check the transmission electrical section, also found in section 8W (iirc.)

FWIW, I have both a digital copy (CD) and written copy of the FSM (both legal) and love them. They're a great resource, because when you need them, nothing else will substitute.

~Scott

it's copyrighted by Chrysler/AMC... so technically... it is..

Who are you people lol. I'm not asking anyone to scan a copyrighted page.

It is not copyrighted if someone did a pinout test themselves and wrote it down on a piece of paper, or a napkin, or the back of their hand. Chrysler can't copyright someone else's work. I could do it myself but figured someone before me already blazed the trail.

Did someone get sued on this forum or something? You seem touchy...

Whether it's copyrighted or not is something I don't particularly give a damn about, it's just some color codes in this case. I simply don't have them on hand ATM.

I'm simply noting that you're going to need a lot more info that will also be in that manual if you are going to be ripping out your whole engine management system and installing a megasquirt with a whole custom wiring harness.

Thanks guys. I should be able to make something out of all that info.

We are hoping that MS will play nice with the existing TCU. That's just to get it running. Ultimately we will be building a manual input trans controller.

We are all set with the engine side of the wiring. Hopefully we can fire her up tomorrow night.

do a writeup on the Squirt install. I have been wanting to MS my Stroker for a while and have not had the time to really press on it.

I would be interested in your work and base fuel/timing maps after you get it up and running.

I'll try to get a writeup done, not much time though. This build is a complete race prep and MS is just one small part. I'll see what I can do though.

It was pouring here last night and the Jeep is in the driveway, so no install last night. We looked over the harness again and pulled another bunch of wires out. It is amazing how many wires are left over from the early Renix and 2.5L. They just use the same harness! There are even fuses in the fuse block that go to nothing lol

OK this isn't a writeup. No time yet, but I will.

We've had Megasquirt running on our '95 XJ 4.0 for a few weeks and a few days ago we drove it on the street and the AW4 worked! We have some pretty good fuel/timing maps but will get it more finely tuned over the next week or so.

It is using the stock distributor with Ford Hall Effects sensor wheel and a Renix era cap and rotor. Other than that it is pretty much stock! I can't believe how well it runs!

More info to come later.

The '95 trans control module for the AW-4 is stand alone. 'Completely separate harness.

Hey folks. If you want this info, you can get it all for free at your local public library. They have the Motors manuals with detailed tranny wiring diagrams. I got this same info for my GM tranny. You can take the book and copy the pages their on their copy machine for a few cents and then you have it.

The '95 trans control module for the AW-4 is stand alone. 'Completely separate harness.

Have you ever had a 1995 XJ wiring harness out and apart? I can assure you it isn't a completely separate harness! It's not too bad though, just needs a few signal wires. I am glad they didn't try to integrate it into the ECU that would be another story. Right now the module is mounted on the tranny tunnel right next to Megasquirt.

Runs great aside from closed loop being way too lean. With the LC-1 wideband running the show it almost feels like a stock XJ.

Back