• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sitting for 2 Years

A_J

NAXJA Forum User
MY XJ had been sitting for two years - long story there, not worth getting into - but I needed to get her up and running.

Changed oil the oil, put a new battery in started right up. God I love this truck ;)

Now for the "what should I be worried about" questions.

I replace a PS pump hose that was leaking (leaked before, just never fixed it until now)
Looking around I see some PCV lines that are colapsed and need replacing.
Will change coolant, oil again in a couple hundred miles just to be safe.

Lots of things that have rusted a bit, but nothing leaking...yet. Brakes look ok, tire are not too bad, a bit low on air, but only one is flatened a bit. Coolant hoses were new when I parked it. Heater lines look dodgey, but ok for now.

Any suggestions on what to be extra careful of?

Check your motor and tranny mounts. I recently resurrected a 1995 Xj that had been sitting for 2.5 years. Change your fuel filter, empty out as much fuel as possible and add new. Check your diffs, tranny, transfer case fluid levels. Regrease all the zerks. Just do as much general maint. you can do.

You need to replace the brake fluid entirely, clutch fluid too if a manual.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic--it draws moisture from the air. Water and brake fluid are not compatible. Brake and clutch fluid should be flushed every 30,000 miles at the most, better every two years.

The flexible brake lines probably should be replaced too.

x2 on the brake fluid, check the wiper blades for dry rotting i would reccomend changing the heater hoses if they look questionable, they usually bust when u dont want them too

Check if your serpentine belt is cracking or dry rotting, you don't want that letting go on you.

Look for signs of any critters setting up home inside the engine bay, heater box, interior and elsewhere. They have a nasty habit of chewing on wiring.

Check if your serpentine belt is cracking or dry rotting, you don't want that letting go on you.

What year is your XJ?

Yup the serpentine belt is definitely a wild card and should be inspected/replaced if necessary.

Inspection of all fluid levels and conditions to be sure. You've done the oil but coolant and tranny fluid need a look and wouldn't hurt to just change them.

If it's been sitting for 2 years I would change ALL fluids, oil, tranny , TC, both axles, radiator, brakes, the T-stat, flush the cooling system, plugs, wires, belts,, clean the injectors and intake. Inspect and replace deteriorated rubber, bushings, mounts, hoses, the battery. Look for critters, found a dead cat in my radiator shroud when I replaced in the ZJ, and it was a DD.

Thanks all

Some of the heater hoses don't look all that great - they are first on the list. Grease, fluids this weekend. Plugs and wires in a couple of weeks.

Serp belt was new when I parked it, but I'll check it this weekend too - may replace just to be safe.

Wasn't going to do the brake fluid, but that sounds like a must do - don't know when it was changed last, so that's a biggie.

No dead critters yet, but lots of spiders and some mold here and there. Will need a really good cleaning. Oh and the exhaust is a bit more rusty than I'd like. I'm sure that won't last all that long.

DMV tomorrow makes it all legal again - woo hoo!

Throw the old serp belt under the back seat as a spare. When you swap it out make sure you load the tensioning bolt up with as much antiseize as you can get on the threads.

Back