• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stuck leaf spring bolts

johnbizzle02

NAXJA Forum User
so i'm in the process of installing a 6.5in long arm got the front done, and the rear leaf spring bolts are stuck, did some searching and classic signs of the bolt is stuck in the metal bushing, my question is on the rear bolt where the shackel bolts into the frame i broke it loose but now it just spins freely, has the weld broke off the nut? any idea? and how to fix it?

Been there done that. You have to cut into the "pocket" that houses the nut. Get a wrench on it and then take it off that way. When I put my lift on I couldn't get the shackle bolt out because of the same mess. I still haven't put my lift shackles on because of how hard the from leaf spring bolts were.

pull the bumper and use a short socket and a breaker bar to hold the nut. if that doesnt work for you then start cutting the bolt on both sides of the spring and the nut should fall out. either way you are gonna hafta pull the bumper.

it did on my 90 and my buddys 95 so it might work on yours dunno the year. i actually did it half one way half the other on mine since both weldnuts broke free. its a PIA but the rewards are well worth the hassle. if the bolt is stuck in the bushing (like mine) i recommend the sawzall trick with the milwaukee TORCH metal plades because they are really thick and do well on things like that

someone else will chime in on this im not very familiar with 97+....they are a little different i think. if the socket doesnt work use a female ez out...the socket type ones. they come in handy on the xj

try that fabled creature they call search.

Last edited:
Only reason I bought it is because I'm a Mechanic in WI everything is a rusted pile of tin. :laugh: The winters here make vehicles into cancer cases quick. Same reason I went to Cali to buy my XJ just cant figure out why my roof is rusting:gonnablow

good luck with the bolts.

tank strap bolts... :shiver:

Buy em new (J324 0023 from funjeepsparts, I keep a handful on hand to keep the shipping down) and saw the old ones in half.

Back