• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Input: Powertrax No-Slip WITH manual

live24wheel

NAXJA Forum User
Dad's Jeep is about to get a makeover after our last trip out. If it were me, it would be getting front and rear ARB's, as mine has. Thats not going to happen as this will be somewhat of a budget build, do to timing. Lock-rights are out, i've ran them, won't happen. Everything I have searched says the No-slip is more streatable, but a lot of second hand input and mostly from auto guys. His Jeep will see alot of street time so driveability is important. What I am concerned with is the locker disengaging and engaging every time its shifted, it has a 5 speed. Anyone have any first hand experience with the No-slip behind a manual?

Thanks.

Im throwing this up over on AZVJC too, as this has somewhat of a time frame...

Basically the same but I would go with an Aussie. Even with a manual should be no issue. With most that drive have to adapt slightly anyways. Go for it!

Dad's Jeep is about to get a makeover after our last trip out. If it were me, it would be getting front and rear ARB's, as mine has. Thats not going to happen as this will be somewhat of a budget build, do to timing. Lock-rights are out, i've ran them, won't happen. Everything I have searched says the No-slip is more streatable, but a lot of second hand input and mostly from auto guys. His Jeep will see alot of street time so driveability is important. What I am concerned with is the locker disengaging and engaging every time its shifted, it has a 5 speed. Anyone have any first hand experience with the No-slip behind a manual?

Thanks.

Im throwing this up over on AZVJC too, as this has somewhat of a time frame...

Ran a PowerTrax No-Slip in the 8.25 TracLoc carrier for almost 3 years in my '98 XJ and was quite pleased with the road manners and trail performance.
Even though there are members that run this locker with carbon based (dinosaur) oil; I chose to use synthetic gear oil and was very pleased with the way the locker loaded and unloaded.
Since this locker would be considered medium duty I would suggest you limit the tire size to 33s.
Driving with a manual transmission and a locker is alot different then driving with an automatic transmission. You will need to get accustomed to not applying the gas when going thru or making turns. The tires will bark at you !!! :laugh:

I take it you're talking for the rear?

I have an aussie in the front of my 5spd XJ... no issues.

I've been running a PowerTrax for about 5 years in my '96 with 5 speed manual. It takes a bit of time to get used to it, but I wouldn't be without one, especially with 2 w.d. I replaced the springs when it started to "pop" and otherwise act like an Aussie, and all was well again.

Corners are no problem with a light foot. Narrow street, up hill, U-turns are possible with care. There may be a bit of "shudder" when turning and you may need to feather the clutch.

IMO, windy mountain roads are more fun with the locker. The rear seems to hunker down and hold better under throttle.

Mine probably only "pops" or unloads less than once a week and never "violently" like some other lockers do.

Mike

P.S. My wife likes being able to chirp the tires at will in the parking lot at her work. Keeps the "kids" in line wondering about her.

all the lunchbox lockers (and detroit locker) basically function the same way. drive characteristics vary from vehicle to vehicle, but if you go with one of these types of lockers it will likely bang, pop..definitely make it a lot easier to swing your rear end out on a turn.

lockright vs. no-slip: IMO no real difference. i've sold a lot of these and no-slips bang and pop just like everyother locker that engages under torque and disengages automatically for turns.

sure lunch-box lockers (lock-right, no-slip, aussie) are cheap, but they are only as strong as the stock case (d35, right?they are tiny.). for me, it's not worth the couple hundred bucks you save on a lunch-box over a detroit. if im gonna run a stock case ill just weld it and bark tires until i can afford a real locker.

If you didn't like your lock-right, then I would steer clear of spools and the automatic locker class of traction aids. have you considered doing a posi? there are a lot of options out there for wayyy less than ARB, not too much more than a lock-right, and you get the strength of a full case and great street manners. of course, they don't give as much traction as a full locker so depending on what kind of wheeling you get into may or may not be the right choice

I say the same as everyone else, also it creates accelerated wear on the rear tires, so you have to rotate more often. It made my last set of mud tires wear a bit funny and get noisy, but its well worth it.

I've been running a PowerTrax for about 5 years in my '96 with 5 speed manual. It takes a bit of time to get used to it, but I wouldn't be without one, especially with 2 w.d. I replaced the springs when it started to "pop" and otherwise act like an Aussie, and all was well again.

Corners are no problem with a light foot. Narrow street, up hill, U-turns are possible with care. There may be a bit of "shudder" when turning and you may need to feather the clutch.

IMO, windy mountain roads are more fun with the locker. The rear seems to hunker down and hold better under throttle.

Mine probably only "pops" or unloads less than once a week and never "violently" like some other lockers do.

Mike

P.S. My wife likes being able to chirp the tires at will in the parking lot at her work. Keeps the "kids" in line wondering about her.

Excellent description of how the NoSlip handles. I've been running mine for about 6 months with stickshift.

The only times I notice it is:
1. When I jam the gas around turns (not thinking)
2. Making a u-turn in my cul-de-sac in first or second - too much gas is too fast and too little jerks me around (jam the clutch)...should be fine in an auto though
3. I look back and see the guy behind me having trouble on an obstacle and I wonder what was so hard...then I realize he has open diffs :spin1:

Back